Frequent Contributor
jake619

Interest Confusion

Regarding banking, if I can get a 1.0% savings account, why would I put money in a 12 month CD that yields similar interest?  What am I missing here?  For that matter, what's the purpose of a lower-APR CD?  That seems even crazier but I could be missing something.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

Regular Contributor
awal

Re: Interest Confusion

Other than the interest rate being guaranteed for the term, I've got nothing.

Most times when I see savings accounts with APRs that are competitive to CDs its for a specified tier (amount of money) - which honestly sounds a lot like a CD without the early withdrawal penalty.

Starting Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 682 TU08 01/2014 | 685 EX 03/2013(via AMEX App)
Current Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 681 TU08 07/2014 | 689 EX 06/2014(via AMEX CLI)

AMEX BCE $12.3K | AMEX Zync NPSL | Cap1 Quicksilver MC $3.5K | NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $20K
NFCU NavChek $15K | Target Visa $5K | Comenity VS $2.2K | Walmart $4.5K
Frequent Contributor
jake619

Re: Interest Confusion

Yeah, I understand the locked in APR.  But Barclays online savings is 1.0% w/ no fee/no min.  Ally is right behind that and so is AMEX for that matter.  Weird.  Maybe in a former time there was an advantage over savings accounts, but today I can't see locking up the money for the same APR.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}