Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is American Express for real?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is American Express for real?

You literally have to be kidding me, lol. 

I thought American Express had great customer service. I guess I was wrong, no wonder Discover overtook them. 

A chat from a few minutes ago on the next post. 

Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is American Express for real?

unnamed.jpg

I guess if I weren't already unsure about them already, I guess I can forget about them and their cruddy customer service plus spotty acceptance. Anyone else ever have these problems? What's happened to American Express since the 90's?

Message 2 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly.. And I had to say this.. But I get much superior service from Chase.

I really think Amex is riding their reputation from decades ago.
Message 3 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

once i became a member, every chat ive had when logging in has been awesome.  they might outsource different people for people who aren't members yet.  American express customer service people actually learn for 3 months before workng for Amex and are usually knowledgable 

Message 4 of 105
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Wow he "hung" up you, that is unacceptableSmiley Sad I also was looking for the prequal page and I never find it.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 105
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought American Express had great customer service. I guess I was wrong, no wonder Discover overtook them. 

Discover overtook but Amex is still a close 2nd right?    So yes, your chat isn't great, but you can find much worse examples for every issuer, and the point of surveys like JD Power is to get big samples to look at overall performance.     This just sounds like terminology, CSR didn't understand what you meant by pre-qualify page (and he/she should have asked rather than telling you there wasn't one.)   But at least, as far as we know, they didn't open 5 accounts for you without your knowledge as WF might have done!

Message 6 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right? I think they should offer me a BCP, waive the annual fee for life, and give me a 10k limit with their lowest APR as an apology, plus an apology letter on top of it. 

Seriously though, what has happened to AMEX since the 90's? Where did the amazing dispute resolution, customer service, and premium products go? 

Message 7 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

In what way has discover "overtaken" Amex?
Message 8 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover overtook but Amex is still a close 2nd right?    So yes, your chat isn't great, but you can find much worse examples for every issuer, and the point of surveys like JD Power is to get big samples to look at overall performance.     This just sounds like terminology, CSR didn't understand what you meant by pre-qualify page (and he/she should have asked rather than telling you there wasn't one.)   But at least, as far as we know, they didn't open 5 accounts for you without your knowledge as WF might have done!

If a customer service rep doesn't understand what a pre-qualification page is, then why are they even working there? I mean it's the most basic thing they should know... How can you trust this particular person to solve more difficult problems? 

Message 9 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
In what way has discover "overtaken" Amex?

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-credit-card-satisfaction-study

Message 10 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.