Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is American Express for real?

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Is American Express for real?

@joltdude wrote:

Wow.. that reminds me of a phone CSR for Serve.. That was an exercise in futility...

-J

I have closed my Serve account 2 times in 3 months, which has taken 1/2 hr each time. Both times I was told it was closed and a check was on the way. It is still open and sucking $3 a month from my wallet. Those 2 CSR's are either total garbage or are getting a bonus for not closing accounts (which is probably the case). It may be time for a class action suit regarding Serve not closing accounts, as the same problem is posted many times around some forums.

Message 91 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Lifespan" I agree. However, I think it outlived its usefulness to you when people were no longer agreeing with you.

I've been in customer service, I know what it's like to hit the wrong button and the customer goes *bloop*. I also know what it's like to deal with people who think that their dollar is greater than the next.

You never answered my question. Did you contact them again? Try to get the situation fixed?
Message 92 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
"Lifespan" I agree. However, I think it outlived its usefulness to you when people were no longer agreeing with you.

I've been in customer service, I know what it's like to hit the wrong button and the customer goes *bloop*. I also know what it's like to deal with people who think that their dollar is greater than the next.

You never answered my question. Did you contact them again? Try to get the situation fixed?

I got on another browser and found the pre-qual page so I didn't need to. I'm smarter than a person who works for the company. 

To be fair many people have agreed and see the downfall of AMEX due to poor management. Increase competition can only go so far to deteroriate a company's business model if your managment is good enough. 

Message 93 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

So... All this? See what you can do without the help of some poor schmuck who happened to be connected to you? Baaaahahaha!!!!
Message 94 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So... All this? See what you can do without the help of some poor schmuck who happened to be connected to you? Baaaahahaha!!!!

To be fair to AMEX I feel the same way when I walk into a cell phone store and the salesman doesn't know something about a particular phone they should know. It's not like AMEX is the only company that has stupid employees... But is AMEX and they should be held to a higher standard due to how they're supposed to be "prestigous." 

Message 95 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To be fair to AMEX I feel the same way when I walk into a cell phone store and the salesman doesn't know something about a particular phone they should know. It's not like AMEX is the only company that has stupid employees... But is AMEX and they should be held to a higher standard due to how they're supposed to be "prestigous." 

I've noticed that many of the complaints about Amex's diminished prestige and selectivity are from people who wouldn't qualify for one under the old standards.

Be careful what you wish for.

(For those of you on mobile, OP's highest CL is $1.5k.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 96 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've noticed that many of the complaints about Amex's diminished prestige and selectivity are from people who wouldn't qualify for one under the old standards.

Be careful what you wish for.

(For those of you on mobile, OP's highest CL is $1.5k.)

$7,800 but card isn't listed. 

Message 97 of 105
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I kinda dread having to do any communication with Amex over the phone. The few times I've talked to them one had a baby crying in the background? The others have a lot of clicking or beeps in the background and a sound delay. Discover and Chase have been great though and calls have been clear.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 98 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

One had a baby crying in the background? LOL

Message 99 of 105
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Sounded like it. A combination of other background noises on their end in perfect harmony to that of a baby crying? Even better/worse it was my first time calling Amex regarding my new BCE.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 100 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.