Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It a Canadian thing?

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Is It a Canadian thing?

Okay, so I work at a grocery store in a city near the North Dakota/ Manitoba border, and we frequently serve Canadians that come to the states for cheap shopping. I have noticed a pattern of how you present your payments. Our tills are set up to where you swipe your card yourself, and whenever someone from Canada pays, they always tell me what network they are using! For example, someone will say:

"I'm using Visa"

or 

"It's on MasterCard please"

Absolutely nobody from the US EVER says what network they are using (unless they are asking if we accept AMEX lol) we just silently swipe our cards violently through the reader and leave, so I always know who you are. Smiley Tongue

This intrigues me though. How do you guys operate up north? The way everyone does it makes it seem like you process CC payments differently in Canada. Are you required to disclose what card network you are using to the cashier in order to complete the transaction?

Thanks in advance for solving my curiosity. Smiley Happy

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is It a Canadian thing?

@14Fiesta wrote:

Okay, so I work at a grocery store in a city near the North Dakota/ Manitoba border, and we frequently serve Canadians that come to the states for cheap shopping. I have noticed a pattern of how you present your payments. Our tills are set up to where you swipe your card yourself, and whenever someone from Canada pays, they always tell me what network they are using! For example, someone will say:

"I'm using Visa"

or 

Absolutely nobody from the US EVER says what network they are using (unless they are asking if we accept AMEX lol) we just silently swipe our cards violently through the reader and leave, so I always know who you are. Smiley Tongue

This intrigues me though. How do you guys operate up north? The way everyone does it makes it seem like you process CC payments differently in Canada. Are you required to disclose what card network you are using to the cashier in order to complete the transaction?

Very interesting question ... I am curious too. For myself I go to Cavalier, North Dakota and north ... first time I heard of this.

Message 2 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Interesting indeed. Also makes you wonder if they might say "It's on a Discover please"

Message 3 of 11
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

"I'm using Visa"

or 

Very interesting question ... I am curious too. For myself I go to Cavalier, North Dakota and north ... first time I heard of this.

So you are from Canada, and you never do this/ have never seen anyone do this?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting. I'm from California but when recently before paying I usually ask, "Do you take ____?" just in case. I'll be sure to notice this when I go to Vancouver next month.

Message 5 of 11
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if you will get too many Canadian responses as Fico is an American thing and Canada is issued different cards.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 6 of 11
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

When I went to Canada, everytime I used the card, the person asked what type of card it was. I thought that was strange, but maybe they just have to input them differently into the machine.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 7 of 11
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

I would be perplexed and sarcastically reply "Do you want a cookie?"

I've never heard of this. Any insight would be appreciated. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 8 of 11
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Must be that Canadian thing I've read about...  eh?  Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 11
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

"I'm using Visa"

or 

OK. OK.  I will let you on in a secret... its because up here the vendor asks us.  Yep, that simple.

We use debit POS most of the time so the vendor asks us if we are going to pay by debit or credit?  The natural reflex is just to say Visa or MC or debit.  Amex isn't used much. Discover is a foreign object.

It might have something to do with how the vendor sets up the payment POS machine to take either the debit or credit card just prior to handing it over so can punch in the code.  I'm not a cashier so I don't know if they have to input something different or not to recognize the different type of cards.  We switched to EMV 5 years ago, maybe that also has something to do with it?

It is probably as natural as Thanks,Your welcome, I'm sorry, pardon me and "he shoots, he SCORRRESS!.   Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.