Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal or am I hacked???

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Is this normal or am I hacked???

I always check my e-mail sign in acitivty and noticed that my IP Address isnt the same it changed all of a sudden is this normal??? 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this normal or am I hacked???

I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Often IP addresses can change depending on your modem/router all of that good stuff!

There are websites that you can go on and plug in your IP address to see the general location. If it seems really random, or out of state...that would be the only time I'd be concerned.

As a side note, my router likes to place me on the opposite side of the state. The side of the state that is nearly 5hrs from us! Why? We will never know! haha

Message 2 of 8
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Often IP addresses can change depending on your modem/router all of that good stuff!

There are websites that you can go on and plug in your IP address to see the general location. If it seems really random, or out of state...that would be the only time I'd be concerned.

As a side note, my router likes to place me on the opposite side of the state. The side of the state that is nearly 5hrs from us! Why? We will never know! haha

Maybe the last point of your ISP's internal network traffic before it hits the "internet" so to speak.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 3 of 8
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

If you value your privacy you may wish to consider using a VPN, or virtual private network.

Your IP address is how all the websites you go to, all the web searches you make and generally every move from place to place follow you.

A VPN encrypts your data then routes it to their servers where it is sent on to whatever place you were going to. The reverse is true for data coming back to you.

The IP address that everyone sees is the address of the VPN. A good VPN does not do any logging at all so there is no way to put any individual user with any data, keeping every one anonymous.

Having said that, the NSA and our other wonderful acronym govt agencies will always have one way or another of seeing everything you do, even if they violate the constitution and the law.

They are above the law so... Just saying
Message 4 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

I always check my e-mail sign in acitivty and noticed that my IP Address isnt the same it changed all of a sudden is this normal??? 

Unless you are using static IP address (which most aren't), this is completely normal. Most internet plans out there are using dynamic IP address, which periodically changes. Dynamic IP works for most people. Only in selected cases should static IP be needed.

@Chris123nTx wrote:
If you value your privacy you may wish to consider using a VPN, or virtual private network.

Your IP address is how all the websites you go to, all the web searches you make and generally every move from place to place follow you.

A VPN encrypts your data then routes it to their servers where it is sent on to whatever place you were going to. The reverse is true for data coming back to you.

The IP address that everyone sees is the address of the VPN. A good VPN does not do any logging at all so there is no way to put any individual user with any data, keeping every one anonymous.

Having said that, the NSA and our other wonderful acronym govt agencies will always have one way or another of seeing everything you do, even if they violate the constitution and the law.

Two things you should be aware of,

* Some VPNs, particularly those that are free, can be easily defeated by doing deep layer packet inspection, which more and more ISPs are doing to sniff out P2P traffics.

* VPN is not foul proof. Law enforcement agency can always force VPN provider to enable logging in order to trace the connection. It has happened before. 

Message 5 of 8
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Check whatismyip.com to see if the new IP login matches what your current IP is.  If it does your good, if your current IP matches your old website IP then you used a different device on a different network or someone else logged in.

Long time ago IPs used to be almost all dynamic and changed each time you logged in.  (Lovely dial up and such)

Later it changed abit.   

Ive got cable internet, the only way to change my IP is if I call the company and request it.  It used to renew and get a new IP when I reset the modem years ago but it does not do that anymore.

Message 6 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

ok well we are serviceed by TimeWarner, good to hear that its normal thanks!!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 7 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:

Doing research.....

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.