Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It pays to know fico

tag
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

It pays to know fico

I am a waitress and get to talk to a lot of people. I had a customer who I talked about FICO and scores and all the boring things. He is recommending that I do a seminar on this subject How cool is that? He said that even the bank clerks don't understand (hmm hmm, we know that)

Should I do this? I told him that everything you need to know is right here. I told him that I do not want to get paid for what is free here on the net.

Would you do this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: It pays to know fico

Absolutely!

You've spent the last 1 1/2 years learning this stuff.  If you have this opportunity to answer questions for folks who want to be informed credit consumers, I think you'd be providing help that has a value far greater than any fee you might earn.

I say go for it, Teach!

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say go for it too....you'd be helping people one nugget at a time for a source of awesome posters that give great advice. One thing to note though. When we put together the state resources thread under RYC, we noticed there were a couple of states that required licensing just to give credit advice. The intent of the laws were to limit the activities of debt settlement or debt repair companies. Thoroughly look at your statutes and make sure nothing applies to you directly. It probably won't, but worth a look.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MsKiwi wrote:

I am a waitress and get to talk to a lot of people. I had a customer who I talked about FICO and scores and all the boring things. He is recommending that I do a seminar on this subject How cool is that? He said that even the bank clerks don't understand (hmm hmm, we know that)

Should I do this? I told him that everything you need to know is right here. I told him that I do not want to get paid for what is free here on the net.

Would you do this?

There are many, many, many people who prefer a "live person" or personal touch for obtaining information.  So, it is very possible that you could gain a certain number of clients or students.

However, you do need to take defensive measures to protect against potential liability in this litigious society of ours.  Unfortunately, somebody can take wht you say and apply it, or take what you say and change it up or apply it incorrectly and then blame you for the outcome.

You do not want to be accused of "practicing law" or acting as a financial planner or adviser which potentially requires licensing and/or which bring inherent liabilities with the territory.

My cautions here are not to deter, but to advise ample prior planning.  Each state has its own reguations on these subjects, which possibly fall under the "credit repair" agent/company laws.  There is also the issues of adivising the actions of disputes or other "corrective" measures that your "students" may not ethically apply, but later say you told them to do so.

But good luck and let us know what you decide and what comes of it!

Message 4 of 5
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MsKiwi wrote:

Would you do this?

There are many, many, many people who prefer a "live person" or personal touch for obtaining information.  So, it is very possible that you could gain a certain number of clients or students.

However, you do need to take defensive measures to protect against potential liability in this litigious society of ours.  Unfortunately, somebody can take what you say and apply it, or take what you say and change it up or apply it incorrectly and then blame you for the outcome.

You do not want to be accused of "practicing law" or acting as a financial planner or adviser which potentially requires licensing and/or which bring inherent liabilities with the territory.

My cautions here are not to deter, but to advise ample prior planning.  Each state has its own reguations on these subjects, which possibly fall under the "credit repair" agent/company laws.  There is also the issues of adivising the actions of disputes or other "corrective" measures that your "students" may not ethically apply, but later say you told them to do so.

But good luck and let us know what you decide and what comes of it!

This what scares me. (what is legal and what is not) I told this guy that I am a vessel of useless knowledge. LOL I also told him I would direct people to this forum. I told him I don't have nearly the wisdom of the people here. I'm just a parrot. Compared to what people know here , I don't want paid............. I just want to inform people.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.