cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Offer and Credit Check - decent credit, lots of debt tho although current on it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Job Offer and Credit Check - decent credit, lots of debt tho although current on it

Hi,

I could really really use some advice. I got a great job offer at a bank, it is contingent on passing a drug test and background test. I am not worried at all about thedrug test, but I'm concerned about the credit check. I have been out of work for about 8 months and have a lot of debt. I have always made my minimum payments on time, have never once been late but I'm concerned the high level of debt I have will prevent me from getting this job. There is nothing else negative on my credit history, i.e. liens, judgements, etc. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Job Offer and Credit Check - decent credit, lots of debt tho although current on it

Usually employers look at payment history, liens, BK and collections.. and some will look at debt to income when it comes to preparing financial reports and handling cash/ assets. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Job Offer and Credit Check - decent credit, lots of debt tho although current on it

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I could really really use some advice. I got a great job offer at a bank, it is contingent on passing a drug test and background test. I am not worried at all about thedrug test, but I'm concerned about the credit check. I have been out of work for about 8 months and have a lot of debt. I have always made my minimum payments on time, have never once been late but I'm concerned the high level of debt I have will prevent me from getting this job. There is nothing else negative on my credit history, i.e. liens, judgements, etc. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Congratulations on the new job, and best wishes, I hope your new job is more stable than the previous one.

The usual rule with virtually anything that could be a concern is, the employer must learn the information directly from you before they learn it from anybody else.

So talk to them.  Your explanation sounds reasonable, and probably they will also think it sounds reasonable (they will of course be aware how many people have lost jobs in recent months through no fault of their own).  Of course once you've got the new job, strive really really hard to (1) pay down debts and then (2) build up ample emergency funds to protect yourself against any future troubles.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.