Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job security via solo TDY!

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Job security via solo TDY!

DH was offered an opportunity to go to school - it's a solo TDY - in just a few months.  Initially he turned it down.  It would be very difficult for us (as a one car family) to be living in 2 different states.  Since he would be staying in barracks, he would be getting the basic things covered (lodging and meals.)  Which translates to no per diem monies.  And overtime for extreme situations went bye-bye a few years ago. (Normally, due to the time committment for this, he would have received some OT/comp time/something!)

It's a good thing for his career.  I removed the emotion from it and told him I think he should reconsider the opportunity.  He did some research.  One of the things he learned is that if he goes to this school, he has to sign on for another year.  Can we say job security??  Yes, we can!!  He's going.

We are going to suck it up and deal with it.  I can visit one day a week after he's been there for a few weeks.  We will get a hotel.  And I will do what needs to be done to tighten up the belt even more to save for the travel and the hotel expenses.  *sigh*  Job security.  Hotel points.  Travel.  Free toilet paper.  Yeah, we can do this.  I am trying to be positive about all of this.  Smiley Happy    

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.