cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just remembering the time when I was in HighSchool. Boy did I find trouble.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just remembering the time when I was in HighSchool. Boy did I find trouble.

I'm scared to have kids, if they did a quarter of the things that I did I would never sleep at night. I had such a great time at that age but OMG was I naive to the dangers that could have been. You see these movies where kids disappear on vacations in foreign countries... That was me going off places I should not have been and being at the wrong place at the wrong time nearly escaping with my life. As a kid we think we are invincible but as an adult I realize how seriously lucky I was to have escaped many situations. I was a very good honest kid but I found my self in very bad situations always getting out. As an adult I say what are kids thinking when they do these stupid things? As a kid I can say lack of experience, we didn't know any better so there was no thought, we just thought everything was safe, really we didn't know what could happen because we say no no your just telling us to scare us. OMG. But the adventures never ended. I wonder what happened because now all I do is work, play with credit and think about being responsible? Darn I became a grown up. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-20-2008 10:06 PM
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just remembering the time when I was in HighSchool. Boy did I find trouble.

I'm always amused at the guys who were such studs in high school, and then they have daughters of their own. Boy, do they struggle!

But for the dangerous situations, I remember some guy coming up to me one evening, asking me to show him where something was, pointing out toward some abandoned housing in the darknss, and I would have done it, but I was running late to a party. When I got to the party, I mentioned it to the adult there, and never thought a thing about it. Heard lots of sirens from the MP's in about 15 minutes (this was on an Army post), but I didn't put two and two together for years. I was 15 and apparently dumber than dirt. And very very lucky.

When each of my kids left home for college, I was actually able to relax a bit. It's dumb, but there's something to be said for out of sight, out of mind. You just have to numb up a little and let go of the anxiety the tiniest bit, or you'll go truly nuts.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Yeah, with all the dumb things I did when I was younger, I amazed I am still here and fairly sane.

The really bad thing is I like back at my life and I can see how God helped me dodge all those bullets  most of which I fired myself.

I think we all have a purpose in life and I think I was lucky enough to find mine which was to help DW  after she got divorced and to become a Massage Therapist which was no small feat on her part since English is her second language and Massge Therapy school is very  hard.

Not too shabby for a Jewish kid from Long Island who found Jesus and himself along the way.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I went to college in London in the sixties as a 17 year old teenager.  What little of it I remember was a lot of fun  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 11
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Coincidentally, thanks to the internet, just a few days ago I reestablished contact with a guy I knew when I was a teenage  He now lives on the left coast, and we  have been talking about the whacked out things we did as kids during our carefree summers. I won't go into them, but some are absolutely frightening now.

I moved out at 17 for college in Florida and some of those years, albeit a bit blurry, while might be considered dangerous were, as I look back, tremendous learning experiences. I relish those experiences - the good and the bad.

Point is, IMO,  you have to let kids grow and experiment at their own pace.   
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha. For anyone that doesn't have kids yet, just wait til you do.... Karma is a bee...
I had ALWAYS said that I didn't want girls, because I didn't want to deal with little Ivy's as teenagers! I was horrendous. Middle child, two brothers, Dad was a youth pastor... I'm lucky I even made it to age 18.
But, I tell myself it's fine to have girls... because I pulled all the tricks in the book, so I know them all! They won't be able to get anything past me - I was the ultimate schemer Smiley Very Happy
As for college... I left PA two weeks after graduation for the summer semester at FSU. Chose FSU because they had the #1 comp cheer squad in the nation. I was darn good, and made the team. But, I spent the entire summer semester trashed and was pregnant by late September Smiley Indifferent Oops! I'm glad though... I think I save myself a LOT of pain because of having to straighten up for the birth of DD#1 at age 18 Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not drive if I have had more than one drink.

In my younger, stupider days, I'm ashamed to say I drove while under the influence on more than one occasion.  I figure I used up all my free passes.

Thank heavens I never had an accident and hurt myself or anyone else.  Once I fell asleep behind the wheel, and woke up just in time to dodge an oncoming tree.  That scared me straight.  Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

MAS- The ONE time I drove drunk.. I'd heard somewhere that if you put pennies in your mouth, it will throw off a breathalyzer. I was so freaked out that I drove with pennies in my mouth, but then I got scared I could choke on them (drunk AND paranoid, nice!), so I kept spitting them into my hand and putting them back in my mouth... Then I ended up driving right into the middle of town (Tallahassee) on homecoming night, where people had stopped all their cars & turned it into a street party. There I was, slouching in the car so the police wouldn't see me, spitting pennies into my hand and then eating them again... the traffic party ended up being swarmed by cops to break it up, and it took so long to clear that i was sober by the time I started driving again! LOL..
That scared me straight.. I just have too much of a guilty conscience to ever do it again!
Message 8 of 11
demi
Established Contributor

I was pretty straight and narrow....probably because I saw all the grief my brother and sister caused.   I do remember when my sister ran away from home to become a go-go dancer !!! ah, the late sixties just in the shawdow of San Francisco !

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm always amused at the guys who were such studs in high school, and then they have daughters of their own. Boy, do they struggle!

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (From whence I know not).

"Daughters are God's punishment to men for what they did when they were young."

Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 05-21-2008 01:39 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.