Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOVE PenFed, but not their frontline CSRs ... OMG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOVE PenFed, but not their frontline CSRs ... OMG

Okay, been with PenFed a few weeks -- got approved for the Cash Rewards card on recon after denial for Pyramiding (Thanks to a higher-up in the CU!) and then another approval yesterday for the Platinum Rewards, both at a nice SL!!  I also got an auto loan approved at 2.99% and Thrifty Credit OD line.  While I LOVE this CU's products, their CSRs are CLUELESS!  EVERY time I call for info, such as tracking #s for my overnighted cards, interest rates, product questions they are absolutely dumbfounded.  I have to be honest and say they are probably some of the most misinformed CSRs Ive spoken to, which is sad as I really like what I'm seeing otherwise.  Sr CSR and Managers are EXCELLENT and very well informed, but the frontline staff gives out wrong tracking #s (one gave me one today for my "new" CC, only to find out it was from ym first card weeks ago!  My debit card also never arrived, so they had to FedEx a new one -- see how that goes lol!

Anyone who knows me knows that I can not STAND when people dont know how to do their jobs... it irks me beyond belief.  Some of these reps stammer and stutter with "Uhhhh, ummmm" etc, and act like my requests are unheard of (asking for mailing time on debit card, tracking #s, questions RE: Credit products).  Heres hoping I rarely have to call in !  I think I've called 4-5 times in past month or less, and only gotten one competent rep.  A Guy I just talked to also told me my debit card was mailed on 2/2 -- I became a member mid-late Feb !!!  LOL !!!  Just a rumple!!!

HOWEVER *** The Platinum Rewards card looks great -- love that you can use rewards for SO many different things, unlike many CU cards.  I dont want to berate the CU as a whole or take away from my overall amazing experience here, because they have been soooo good to me thus far, and I love their product lineup -- only thing I would change is those front-liners ;D  Overall, way more pleased with what PenFed has to offer than USAA, even NFCU (which I have since closed -- never had the amazing experience others have seemed to have here).  A solid B+ rating from me Smiley Wink

33 REPLIES 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: LOVE PenFed, but not their frontline CSRs ... OMG

Frontline CSRs are unfortunately like that at many companies. Citi and Barclay's, IME, have offshore frontline reps who really don't know much. It comes down to training. They are probably only trained on the most basic of topics and even then, obviously not  very well. The CSRs probably have no idea that cards can even be expedited, let alone how to track it. Most companies unfortunately spend as little as possible on training and on frontline rep resources in general, and it shows.

Side note: You really (IMO) need to stop with the constant applications. It's going to come crashing down on you very hard....you already had to recon for a first card. A few weeks later I would not have been applying for another card. That's playing with fire. One's profile can only withstand so many apps in a short period.  You have to do what's best for you, but it would be a shame to be trying to build a profile and have it come crashing down for doing too much too soon. Please, tread carefully.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

kdm -- Yes, at least the CSRs here are STATESIDE!!!  I completely agree -- it is widespread, but I must say I have Discover (ONLY for online savings) and their reps are amazing, and on the CC side when I apped last summer for the IT.  Very knowledgable and on the ball.  PenFed is hit or miss with reps, but as stated, very amazing management thus far.

As for the second card with them, it was NOT a new HP -- used the one fro last month, AND I did it with a joint applicant, my verrry credit worthy cosigner.  Actually, only reason I opened it becuase the rewards strcuture on the Cash Rewards was not explianed correctly - I was told it was 1% cash back on ALL purchases and 5% on gas ... nope, only 5% on gas!  Should be called the Gas Rewards card IMO Smiley Wink  Very misleading.  So, the rep called a LO who said I can keep my Cash Rewards open and app with a joint, or close the CR and move the CL over to Plat Rewards -- I didnt want to lose the gas rewards fully, so I apped with my joint, whom I also added to my share acct (we live together too). No new HP, and all reports have been** on ice now for two weeks Smiley Very Happy  Trust me, I get where you're coming from -- credit apping can certainly induce highs and lows, and Ive seen both sides.  I will be treating these cards like gold, and wont be paying to unfreeze my reports anytime soon.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never had a problem with any of the PenFed CSRs.  

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is a thread from you complaining about something or another at least every few weeks.
Message 5 of 34
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
there is a thread from you complaining about something or another at least every few weeks.

Lol

Joey never has any good experiences to tell 

They closed my account 

CSR's suck 

Given wrong info 

They declined me 

etc etc 

No offense Joey but if I ever see a positive experience I might need CPR and a heart transplant Smiley TongueSmiley SadSmiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol. ain't that the truth.
Message 7 of 34
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Never had a problem with any of the PenFed CSRs.  

Agree.  And I've dealt with them quite a bit since last year.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol

Joey never has any good experiences to tell 

They closed my account 

CSR's suck 

Given wrong info 

They declined me 

etc etc 

No offense Joey but if I ever see a positive experience I might need CPR and a heart transplant Smiley TongueSmiley SadSmiley Very Happy

i will let your post be my 900th kudo. congrats

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

ACTUALLY I have posted many postive experiences under approvals Smiley Wink  Isnt the point of this board to vent, share experiences -- good or bad?  2011Terror -- if you dont like my posts, don't click them -- simple as pie.  Just like the TV -- don't like what you're watching?  CHANGE THE CHANNEL!  

I could easily counter with, "You always comment non-constructively on every post I make" or, "You always comment when you have nothing positive to offer the conversation".  Wooooooooo!! Will never make sense to me, but it's who some of you are !

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.