Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Increase in Electric Bill

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Large Increase in Electric Bill

I closed on a home in February earlier this year and for the first several months I was seeing electric bills in the range of $20-$25 per month. I live by myself. However, my electric bill has recently more than doubled, and I'm looking for suggestions on what to do to figure out why this is happening. 

Last month I was billed $60, allegedly all through normal usage. In other words, there were no fees or anything of the sort. This month, my online account states that I have already used $25, with another 16 days remaining in the billing period, which would leave me with a projected bill of close to $60 yet again.  

I haven't changed any behavior or installed any new appliances and can't think of anything that could possibly explain a more than doubling of my electric bill - computer usage, AC usage, vacuum cleaner, washing machine, kitchen appliances, refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave...nothing. 

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Large Increase in Electric Bill

Electricity billing often varies depending on the season. Summer time usually means premium on electricity. Often time electricity also billed in steps, so if you use more electricity you may exceed the first step and charged at a higher rate for remaining usage.

Check your bill for something called "cents per kilo watt hour (kwh)". Compare it to your previous electricity bill. 

Message 2 of 5
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Thanks trumpet.

June usage was 214 kWh and I was billed $29. July usage spiked to 379 kWh and I was billed $58. This month, I am on track for a similar ~$60 electric bill.

Obviously, the increased usage has pushed me into a higher tier.That's not what is troubling me. I'm at a loss trying to determine how my usage could have increased so much.

Thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I would think something in your home is sucking up a lot of juice, be it air, refrigerator, washer/dryer... that would be my inclination.

For us, this summer has been an anomaly. The weather in Ohio has been so cool that our electric bill is actually lower than what it was in the winter by a good $20. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

I would think something in your home is sucking up a lot of juice, be it air, refrigerator, washer/dryer... that would be my inclination.

For us, this summer has been an anomaly. The weather in Ohio has been so cool that our electric bill is actually lower than what it was in the winter by a good $20. Smiley Happy

Blah, you haven't been to California. My last month electric bill was $130, this month is $200. With outside temperature hitting 100F every so often, it's like an oven outside. AC is on all the time in my house.

Anyway OP, check your AC, that's the first thing that use the most of electricity.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.