Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last 4 card numbers on receipts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last 4 card numbers on receipts

Do they matter if a stranger gets a hold of your receipts?

Is it wise to tear them up, or can I just throw them away upon receiving a receipt without worrying?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Re: Last 4 card numbers on receipts

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it wise to tear them up, or can I just throw them away upon receiving a receipt without worrying?

It's always wise to tear or shred receipts if you no longer need them.  Why give anyone more clues than  they should have.  If I'm not mistaken, when you call to report a stolen or lost card, the first 12 or so digits are usually the same and the bank just changes the last 4.  So if a thief knew what your first 12 digits were on your old card, they could use the last four on the receipts and produce your full credit card number.  (of course, they'd still won't know the cvc code on the back).

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 2 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Dalanar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's always wise to tear or shred receipts if you no longer need them.  Why give anyone more clues than  they should have.  If I'm not mistaken, when you call to report a stolen or lost card, the first 12 or so digits are usually the same and the bank just changes the last 4.  So if a thief knew what your first 12 digits were on your old card, they could use the last four on the receipts and produce your full credit card number.  (of course, they'd still won't know the cvc code on the back).

One of the best purchases you can make is a shredder. Good one. Too many thiefs around..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 8
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Dalanar wrote

And the new expiration date.

I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if you dispose of the old cards properly, but I'd definitely +1 on the shredder.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

@Dalanar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One of the best purchases you can make is a shredder. Good one. Too many thiefs around..

I have a $300 shredder that's used for sensitive documents.

The thing about receipts is that I don't want to keep them when I receive them. I just throw it away upon receiving one. Too bad I can't carry a portable shredder. 

So I guess I should remember to tear up my card info on every receipt now. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have always wondered the same thing. I usually keep the receipts or tell the cashier to throw them away instead because no one will look inside the bin behind the counter.

Message 6 of 8
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

I never just throw a receipt in the garbage... I always shred. If a shredder is not readily avaiable, I hold the receipt over a flame if it is printed on thermal paper... might sound excessive, but I take my privacy seriously. lol

Message 7 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Glkslngr wrote:

I never just throw a receipt in the garbage... I always shred. If a shredder is not readily avaiable, I hold the receipt over a flame if it is printed on thermal paper... might sound excessive, but I take my privacy seriously. lol

That's actually pretty awesome. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.