Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Gas Card in the Car = Wise?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leaving Gas Card in the Car = Wise?

I have a 76 Gas Card that I used to fill up my car. I used to keep it in my wallet whenever my car is running low on gas, but most of the time I misplace it, so later I just put it in the glove compartment and it stayed there ever since. I reckon the card is only good for gas and at the convenience store so it shouldn't make a big hit if it were to be stolen from the car.

Do any of you keep your gas card in the car?

P.S. I don't like using my other cards at gas stations even if the rewards are much higher, because they're usually the places where your card gets swiped by phony readers attached to the pumps.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Leaving Gas Card in the Car = Wise?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 76 Gas Card that I used to fill up my car. I used to keep it in my wallet whenever my car is running low on gas, but most of the time I misplace it, so later I just put it in the glove compartment and it stayed there ever since. I reckon the card is only good for gas and at the convenience store so it shouldn't make a big hit if it were to be stolen from the car.

Do any of you keep your gas card in the car?

P.S. I don't like using my other cards at gas stations even if the rewards are much higher, because they're usually the places where your card gets swiped by phony readers attached to the pumps.

I'd prefer to keep it on me, but this is where credit beats debit. You won't be responsible for fraudulent charges and your available credit will be restored. With debit, it could take weeks!

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't say it's wise. But out of all the cards you could leave, this one is the least dumb. Very limited use if it gets stolen which wouldn't make me worry too much. 

Message 3 of 15
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Do you lock your glove compartment? If so I see no worries..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 15
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

I have a Bp credit card. I've got a little slot built into my car for a credit card, and that's where it stays. I park in the garage at home, and I park in a garage at work, so it's prettt secure. The convenience outweighs the risk to me.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 5 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

I'll admit I am bad! My wallet is in the car at all times unless I am in a store

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 15
Uh

It could may be quite useful to have the card used along with the car (if the car is ever stolen), with access to real-time transaction locations on your gas card. Security video could help nab the finder of the card... if  she/he would be foolish enough to use the card for filling up the tank, etc. Almost makes me want to put a pre-paid gas card with a low limit if there is such a thing into my own glovebox for "emergency" use.

Gardening until 2019

Ficos low 600s
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never do leave cards in the car even in crime free smalltown.  I recall my step father used to leave his wallet in the car. He and my mother were at a New Years party and some stole his wallet. It was  in a very safe crime free area. He had about 30 cards. He found a few on the ground outside his car like his Brooks Brothers Card and phoned them all in and called police. . It was several months before the dust  settled. He was a charge and pay in full every month person  and this wrecked his system for quite some time.  He became cash man from January to April. He  even lost his debit card and id. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

I'll admit I am bad! My wallet is in the car at all times unless I am in a store

What time did you want me to stop by and take the car for a wash ? Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just came across an article saying that negligence may forfeit your liability protection. Visa, for example, says "Replacement funds are provided on a provisional basis and may be withheld, delayed, limited, or rescinded by your issuer based on the following: Gross negligence or fraud..." I would be concerned that the bank -- and this may even be more likely for a store card -- could consider such negligence.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.