cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Literally sitting in my local Chase branch...

tag
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Literally sitting in my local Chase branch...

Closing my accounts... screw these guys. Im all in with my credit unions!  This place is 10,000 square feet and there are 2 people here. 7 empty teller stations and 8 empty offices/desks.  They can get their free money elsewhere from now on... rant over.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Literally sitting in my local Chase branch...

...and gone with cash and checKS in hand.  Gonna keep the Amazon Prime Visa tho  Smiley FrustratedSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol yeah my local chase has one teller and three ATMs where the tellers used to be
Message 3 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Closing my accounts... screw these guys. Im all in with my credit unions!  This place is 10,000 square feet and there are 2 people here. 7 empty teller stations and 8 empty offices/desks.  They can get their free money elsewhere from now on... rant over.  Smiley Very Happy

Well, that's the problem - with online banking (and ATMs) so prevalent banks are closing branches wherever they can, and the remaining branches look like ghost towns. But this is hitting rural & small town communities the hardest. We still need brick & mortar banks - merchants need them to deposit cash receipts & get change. Older people still like to do things in person. I think it's good for kids to go to a bank with their parents and learn how banking works. I still remember my dad taking me to the Savings & Loan in our small town in Ohio to open a savings account and thinking how cool it was for the bank to keep your money for you and actually pay you interest for keeping your money safe.

I live in Cochise County Arizona, a large mainly rural county in the Southeastern corner of the state, southeast of Tucson. When Bank of America close its branch in Benson (pop. 5k) a few years ago every elected official int he county begged them to stay, to no avail. The building is still empty. Chase is hanging on in Willcox (pop. 4k) for now, but I expect them to close anytime. In my small town of Sunsites (pop. 1.5k) the only bank in town closed a year & a half ago. I know the guy who bought for building for a song I advised hm to try for a credit union, but even with offering really low rent no one will bite. The one "major" merchant, Family Dollar, has to use an armored car service for deposit & change, smaller merchants drive the 20-30 miles to Willcox or Benson for banking. Disappearing bank branches are a problem, I just don't see a solution - most branches are money losers for the bank/CU..

And to pick up on your rant, 805orbust, the only time in my life I've ever been in a Chase bank branch in my life was a couple years ago, armed with a printed voucher offering $300 for opening a new account, in Willcox. The branch manager herself opened the account, very excited to have a new account, and even gushed that the $300 bonus was the largest new account bonus she had seen. I got it here, posted in the Personal Finance forum. It had a 90 day requirement for keeping the account open. On day 92 I walked in the branch and closed the account. The clerks was so disappointed I felt sorry for him. But I wouldn't feel sorry for Chase for a millisecond. 

Message 4 of 5
805orbust
Valued Contributor

TOTALLY agree on the not feeling sorry thing... Never considered the whole reason behind the empty branches, makes a lot of sense. I guess I just default to the thought of "who else can afford to keep empty buildings open?" thing. They were my first bank 30 years ago... much less evil.  Now? Please. I hate them and Verizon.  

Google isn't far behind either, I just don't want to say it because they know everything and have already most likely published my full name and ss# on some shady website in retaliation.... great guys tho, Google.  Salt of the earth.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.