Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for feedback on my blog's design

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Looking for feedback on my blog's design

A couple of months ago, I started a personal finance blog on my own: http://hiepsfinance.wordpress.com/ .I'm going to cover all aspects of personal finance such as credit and investment. So far most of the posts have been about credit. 

I've tried many different wordpress themes and customized color patterns, and have decided on the current one. My number one priority for choosing a design is readibility. Took me a lot of tries to settle on a design that doesn't hurt the readers' eyes. Honestly, I have never blogged before, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. I am limited to the options provided by wordpress.com. I try to be in readers' shoes, but since I wrote the posts, I am probably biased. 

So given that, do you have any comments on the current design of my blog and how I can improve its visual appeal? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for feedback on my blog's design

I used to design websites. The pink or red background is to loud. Other than that looks good.

Maybe a few more cool graphics

Just my opinion.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 2 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@jeffery581 wrote:

I used to design websites. The pink or red background is to loud. Other than that looks good.

Maybe a few more cool graphics

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback, jeffery581. I changed the background color to brown, and then decided to try out a different theme. How does the current theme look compared to the last one you saw? I can change back to the previous theme with new background color too. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

I don't remember what the other theme looked like, but this brown is much easier on the eyes.  Maybe just a shade lighter, though?

Message 4 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

I've made the brown lighter. Does it look too orange-ish now?

I'm also concerned about the overall white appearance. Should I add more color or is the plain look working?

Message 5 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

I like it!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Thank you! Any other feedback would be welcome too! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
annebythesea
New Contributor

I've been reading your blog since I came across this forum two months ago and it's really helped me a lot. A friend of mine is getting married, and I emailed the post you had regarding credit and marriage which she appreciated having never thought about that before so thank you for that.

Regarding your blog's theme, I really like it with the brown now. And white is good. Believe me I look at blogs all day for work and after a certain # of hours, the bright and vibrant colors get to be too much. Never underestimate the subtle power of white/off white when reading posts with lots of font.

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 8 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I always appreciate knowing that someone is benefiting from reading my blog!

I will keep the current design of the blog for now then; sounds like no one is having an issue with it. I broke a finger last weekend, and am studying for a professional exam in May so I may not write much, if at all, in the next month or so. But be assured that I will monitor the blog to address any questions or comments. Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your support!

Message 9 of 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

The current design/colour combination/layout are all very well done! 

The blog is easy to read, I like the font and the line spacing.  The home page is NOT cluttered with extraneous stuff, I really like that you have paragraphs in the middle and the right sidebar of info.  Also the tabs across the top make a lot of sense, a very thoughtful layout.

WELL DONE ! ! !

ONWARD AND UPWARD ! ! !

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.