Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my job :( Need your advice on my 401K

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Lost my job :( Need your advice on my 401K

Unfortunatly I was layed off I was with the company for 6 years I have been applying for jobs like crazy I received one response stating they company has received over 200 resumes they will get back to the lucky ones for an interview soon.  Looks like Im in for a long haul of job searching ugh!  My question is i may have to withdrawl from my 401K in the next couple of months If I dont get a job soon.  I feel so quilty has anyone else been in this situation?
Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Lost my job :( Need your advice on my 401K

glamchick wrote:
Unfortunatly I was layed off I was with the company for 6 years I have been applying for jobs like crazy I received one response stating they company has received over 200 resumes they will get back to the lucky ones for an interview soon.  Looks like Im in for a long haul of job searching ugh!  My question is i may have to withdrawl from my 401K in the next couple of months If I dont get a job soon.  I feel so quilty has anyone else been in this situation?

Yep - I was, earlier this year.  Laid off from my job of 10 years, job hunting for about 3 months before landing my current job.

Glamchick, don't pull from that 401K unless you absolutely have to.

If you haven't done so already, go through your monthly expenses and get rid of absolutely everything that isn't an absolute necessity, look at what you're spending on food and think of what you can do to cut that down even more (I ate a LOT of ground beef while out of work, since it's so easily 'stretched').  Check local food banks and look into getting some of your food from there, if necessary.  Also, try Googling Angel Food Ministries and see if there's someone in that network in your area (warning - church-supported, so if that's an issue for you for any reason, never mind).

I called my phone/internet/cable co., explained the situation and asked what my options were - they put me on a 'vacation hold' for the cable which let me have dead basic service for $5.95/month, found a special offer for the internet that cut that in half or more, and same for the home phone, so that monthly cost was cut down to something much more manageable.  If yours can't do something similar, look around for cheaper alternatives for the internet (I was prepared to downgrade to dial-up, if necessary - I needed it for my job search so axing it totally wasn't an option).

Call all your utility companies and ask if they have any hardship programs available.

I assume you've already applied for Unemployment benefits?  If not, do so ASAP - you can do so on-line.  Work those expenses to fit what's coming in (or as close as you can).  Is a loan from the Bank of Mom and Dad (or other relatives) an option?  That's something that also helped me.

I also was lucky in that my cc's were in pretty good shape, low util, etc., and since I was unfortunately short on savings, the other not-great-but-helped-get-me-through thing I did was to buy some things with those and then make payments that were a bit over the minimum.  Cards did get run up some (now at just over 30% util), but doing that did stretch my money, and I somehow managed to avoid AA through this.

In the job search, I know how it feels - loads of resumes going out, hardly any responses.  Being proactive in following up is vital (find phone numbers and call - if nothing else, just say you're following up on a resume you submitted and would like to know if there's any particular person with whom you can follow up, or if they have any questions?  Usually, you'll get brushed off, but even if all that happens is the receptionist forwards HR or whomever a message with your name and number that you followed up can make a difference - it shows you're REALLY serious about getting a job and getting noticed in a positive way), as is reading up on what currently makes a good resume and refreshing your interviewing skills.  Are you sending cover letters with those resumes?  If not, start doing so - a lot of folks don't bother, but one thing I found was that a good cover letter can make you stand out a bit and get you noticed in a positive way.

Make sure your resume is error-free, too, and get input on it from someone you think would know a good resume when he/she sees it.

Mostly, hang in there and keep your chin up!

Hope this helps a little.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 4
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

So sorry for this to have happened. Scamp has already given you absolutely great, sound advice. I just want to add that you should look into personnel services in your area. With the economy the way it is, many companies prefer to use these services to fill positions. This way, they are not "out" the money for benefits and don't worry (or worry less) about needing to let people go. And you get a chance to get a "foot in the door" and earn a paycheck. Please consider it.

DH was out of work for more than 10 months. (Technically underemployed since he did part-time work to help bring in some income.) He just accepted a great paying temp-to-perm position with a stable company and it never would have happened without the personnel service.

Best wishes!

P.S. Please, please, please don't touch the 401K. You'll regret it.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 3 of 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

Good luck finding a new job, buy a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute and do all the exercises on paper.  Don't just read the book, actually go through the entire process, it will open up new horizons you had not expected.  Looking for a job is difficult work at best: most of us don't do it very frequently so we lack skill.  What you do not ever want is the brute-force approach of spamming every lead with applications, you need to do thorough research about each prospect you target and at all costs avoid having your resume end up part of the huge pile in the HR department.  My wife and I have in the past found the services of a career advisor very helpful, but finding a good one is not easy, there are lots of bad ones out there, read with close attention the advice on selecting such people in Parachute.

Try incredibly hard to avoid pulling money out of your 401K or IRA.  Aside from steep tax penalties, IF you end up having to file bankruptcy such funds have much stronger legal protection from creditors.  So pulling dollars out of retirement funds can be an extremely costy mistake should you end up filing BK.  Of course I hope you won't have to file BK, but just in case you need to be aware of such considerations.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.