Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost wallet, thank you coffee shop!

tag
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Lost wallet, thank you coffee shop!

Several days ago, I dined in at a chain coffee shop at night having a coconut donut and a medium iced with sweet n low.  I woke up the next morning and discovered my wallet was missing while trying to get ready for work.  I searched everywhere; suspecting I might have dropped it at the coffee shop, I went there that day and asked whether any wallet was returned.  The woman, who looked like a manager on duty, went inside an office and found nothing. 

Disappointed, I dropped by a local bank branch and obtained a new debit card.  Immediately after, I went to work , cancelled all my credit cards and had new ones issued.  I cringed when I had to buy lunch at work using my no-reward giving debit card as it was my only source of funds.  After work, I went to the RMV and bought a new duplicate license (with my new debit card!) and reported the lost wallet to the local police.  I made sure to I purchased my new license and obtained a temporary paper version first before going to the police...in case they were wondering if I drove there without a license Smiley Happy Yeah, I'm paranoid.

The next morning, I stepped out of the house into my car for work and realized I forgot my phone in the bedroom.  I went back to get it and heard that it was ringing.  Triple-A called.  I was in no mood to discuss matters regarding renewing my membership or ugprading, so I was ready to hang up when I heard "Sir, we are calling to let you know that your wallet has been found."  The nice lady gave me the name and number of the person who was in possession of it.  Needless to say, I was ecstatic!

I called the person immediately, and found out that he was actually the store manager of the coffee shop.  Hah. I went there immediately and bought a cup of coffee (hot this time) and asked for the manager.  He immediately came over and gave me the wallet.  I thanked him profusely and made sure the 20 people in line heard what he and his crew had done.

Apparently, the late night cleaning person on duty that "fateful" night found the wallet on a chair and gave it to the manager.  He had stowed it in the manager's office and had it locked, which explains why the next morning's manager on duty could not find anything.  That coffee shop is now my favorite Smiley Happy

A couple of interesting things to note:

• Chase sent me a replacement card with the exact same card number.  I called them up and inquired why it was not a different number. They argued that the new card does have a different number.  Well, I had my Chase card number changed once before this whole fiasco, and Chase was saying the new card WAS different, compared to my original! ---- yet it is the same as the one I had lost in the wallet.  Oh well...since the wallet was found I kept the number.

• AMEX routed me to four different people (FOUR!!!!) before getting to the right person to issue me a replacement card.  It probably took them 20-25 minutes total.  In contrast, Discover did it in 1 minute with just the first person who answered.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Lost wallet, thank you coffee shop!

Regarding the Chase card that has rthe same numbers, were perhaps the expiration and/or security 3-digit code different and to them this was a different account number since when you use the card you also have to enter the security code on the back of the card

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.