Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Goes Back to Gold and Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Goes Back to Gold and Platinum

I received a mailer last week stating that Macy's was simplifying the rewards structure to their cards (getting rid of the different Elite levels) and going back to Gold and Platinum.

Does anybody know if they will be issuing Gold members a Gold Macys card (and Platunum members Platinum cards) like they used to? I used to really like my Gold Star Rewards Macys card. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's Goes Back to Gold and Platinum

I actually out of no where received a macys plat card in the mail today.

Free shipping at macys.com, no minimum.. other parks.

The card looks 100x better then the red card.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually out of no where received a macys plat card in the mail today.

Free shipping at macys.com, no minimum.. other parks.

The card looks 100x better then the red card.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I used to be a Gold Star Rewards member and the card was gold; loved it. I made sure to spend $500 a year on that card to keep it that way. When they changed the rewards levels in 2013 and all cards went red, I pretty much stopped using it. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious if I don't spend plat level this year if they are gonna send me a downgraded card next year?

Would be dumb to send new cards each year lol

Either way the card is very nice.
Message 4 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm curious if I don't spend plat level this year if they are gonna send me a downgraded card next year?

Considering that they gave it to you without you having met the published requirements, and that their revenues are falling, I'd hope they'd continue to set the "secret" Platinum bar pretty low.

Then again, this is the company that gave me 0.1% in Plenti rewards on a $400 wedding registry purchase.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats how it used to work pre 2013. Everybody started as Red Star Rewards; once you hit $500 you were upgraded to Gold Star Rewards which came with a new gold card (with expiration date a year after you gained the upgrade); $1000 got you Platinum and $2500 got you the Elite (black card).  Every year you started over (you got to keep your higher level for at least 12 months from when you earned it) and had to meet the yearly spend requirements to maintain the status. Basically the required spend had to be done each calendar year (Jan thru Dec) but you kept your upgraded card for a full 12 months after earning it-so if you earned Gold as of April, you got to keep that status through April of the following year-but if you did not spend $500 Jan thru Dec, in May of the following year you were downgraded back to Red Star Rewards.  I hope I explained that clear enough LOL.

I did some digging...the new program only gives Platinum members a new card; Silver and Gold keep the red card. Its too bad....I really loved my gold Macys card LOL. I am a child of the 80s so I guess it appealed to me. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.