Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical $200k...need advice

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Medical $200k...need advice

Six weeks ago, my close friends teenage daughter (age 13) was admitted into the hospital with pancreatitis.  It was then discovered that she had a 15x9 cm tumor on top of her urterus.  It's a very rare cancer found in young girls.  The tumor was removed, but she now faces up to two years of *treatment*....

Due to a snafu on insurance paperwork, she was two days shy of being fully insured.

The bills are beginning to roll in....so far they're at 200,000 and it's just beginning.

Do any of you have any thoughts or ideas on working with this hospital on a payment plan?  We're open to all suggestions or thoughts.  Personally, I don't see them being able to pay this off.....ever.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical $200k...need advice

This is sad to hear about, especially happening to such a young kid. I am glad they were able to remove the tumor.

I would start by checking state and federal programs available.

Also, have them speak to a financial counselor/financial social worker at the hospital......there are programs available to help with those who are not insured and meet guidelines. They will also be able to get them in touch with other groups/organizations that might be able to offer help.

In some areas of the country this may not be acceptable or common, but here when something like this happens, groups of people(usually friends of the family) will throw a huge fundraiser.

Anything from benefit auctions to small carnivals. You'd be surprised at the groups who are willing to help and donate their time/services. There is a local group of bike riders who will do benefit rides. There is a small town guy who has some small carnival rides and the blow up attractions(like the huge slide, moon bounce, etc) and he will donate his services and set up the attractions.

It takes a while to plan and takes a lot of legwork, but in the end it is for a good cause and everyone has a great time.

Also, talk to the HR department at their employers. Many companies will set up ways for co-workers to donate. For instance, I have a friend who works at the hospital here and when something tragic like this happens to an employee or their family and they need help, the hospital will allow other employees to donate their vacation, personal day, or sick leave days to the employee. The employee then has the option to use those days as paid time off to deal with their circumstance or cash the donated days in if they are needing financial help instead of extra time off.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 09-05-2008 09:24 AM
Message 2 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I would start off by finding out who was responsible for the insurance snafu. If it was the insurance company's error, then the insurance company should pay.

Many hospitals have systems in place in which they will completely write off the cost of treatment in extraordinary circumstances, sometimes to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not too long ago, as I recall, California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco did just that for a man who was looking at $1.5 million in hospital bills after his story was published in the local papers. I don't remember the precise details, but there was some hangup about insurance in his case as well.

Unfortunately, even if such a plan could be worked out with the hospital, it won't cover her future medical expenses. Insurance companies might now deny coverage for her tumor because it is a preexisting condition.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The hospital will work out a payment plan for now but eventually will hunt them down for the money. We were in debt hundreds of thousands of dollars after our insurance paid their part (non contracting provider issues). We made it about 5 years before we filed bankruptcy. Even if the insurance was in play it wont protect you from bk if it is serious enough of a medical problem. I pray that every thing turns out well for their daughter.
Message 4 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and suggestions.  Since K has this *pre-existing* illness, she's now uninsurable.  Yikes, that's not good.

Since she is their, yours mine and OUR child....the Dad is older and works his butt off already.  I don't know what else he can do.  There is a fundraiser planned for next Saturday.  I hope it's well attended.

Message 5 of 9
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

fishbjc wrote:
Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and suggestions.  Since K has this *pre-existing* illness, she's now uninsurable.  Yikes, that's not good.

Since she is their, yours mine and OUR child....the Dad is older and works his butt off already.  I don't know what else he can do.  There is a fundraiser planned for next Saturday.  I hope it's well attended.

I'll say some prayers for them.  In the meantime, getting some face time on this with local television, radio and news media might go a long way towards creating a positive environment for the insurance company to rush in and become the knight in green shining armor. 

At the very least, exposure may increase the revenues of the fundraiser. 

Is there an online effort (like an email chain?) with a paypal account set up for this family?  I know I have contributed to similar crises by way of paypal.

atlast.....
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I think it very generous of anyone to donate anything they can........I have to ask.......do you check those email chain stories out before you give? All of the one's I've opened that came through my email were scams.

atlastontheroad wrote:

Is there an online effort (like an email chain?) with a paypal account set up for this family?  I know I have contributed to similar crises by way of paypal.

atlast.....

Message 7 of 9
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

sidewinder wrote:
While I think it very generous of anyone to donate anything they can........I have to ask.......do you check those email chain stories out before you give? All of the one's I've opened that came through my email were scams.

atlastontheroad wrote:

atlast.....

sidewinder,

You're absolutely correct, most of those things are scams at worst, urban legend (think Bill Gates' donation email) at best.  I check snopes.com any time I get something that "smells" fishy.  I didn't even think to add that to my suggestion, thanks.
atlast....
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the snafu in paperwork caused by the insurable party? or the company providing such coverages?

If the error was caused by the company providing the coverages (ie employer etc.) it is their error and they can be sued under their Errors and Omissions policy (which for the company has at least a $500K for $1M deductible). Like Lel said if it was their error they are 100% responsible and they are responsible for all hardships including medical bills/pain/suffering/anguish claims and these can be entertained in the process of suing under the company for their E&O)

Pre-existing conditions are un-insurable if the lapse in coverage is over 63 days...by chance was the first hospitalization under 63 days since the last insurance expired?

I work in Insurance, but not on the benefits side although I know the above I mentioned is correct....

I wish the best of luck to everyone and hope everything works out!

Message Edited by 1111mel on 09-07-2008 08:33 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.