Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michael Phelps

tag
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

Re: Michael Phelps

MidnightVoice wrote:

The oldest world record to be broken at the pool was Janet Evans 19 year old time in the 800 free, I believe

I believe that's right. It was sad to see it go down after lasting this long. It really makes one appreciate what Janet Evans accomplished. And Michael Johnson as well. I wonder if Bolt can lower it even further during his career. It certainly seems that way. As they say, records are made to be broken.
Message 11 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:
It just doesn't seem fair to me that athletes' records are being broken on an almost yearly basis solely due to equipment, though.  I have no doubt Phelps could have broken one or two records anyway, but just about every swimming world record was broken at the olympics just because of the technology that the pool was built with, like guttering systems to absorb waves and make turns quicker, not to mention the swimmers' suits.

Like in running, Bolt barely edged out Johnson's record from what, like 30 years ago?  You could never hold a record that long in a sport like swimming.  I just think that pools should be regulation, not all different like baseball fields.

FYI, Michael Johnson's record of 19.32 seconds in the 200 Meters was set in 1996. It was only 12 years, but I thought that it would last forever. That time is just mind-boggling.

Lol, I know, I exaggerated for dramatic effect.  I was at the Atlanta games.

Anywho, the point was that nobody will be able to set lasting records in a sport like swimming where technology dictates how fast you can go.  What's the point of keeping records like that if they are broken every 4 years?

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 08-23-2008 03:36 PM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My heart always aches for those whose time is also better than the existing record, but they come in 2nd or 3rd. There must be some mixed emotions for that!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@thrasher865 wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:
It just doesn't seem fair to me that athletes' records are being broken on an almost yearly basis solely due to equipment, though. I have no doubt Phelps could have broken one or two records anyway, but just about every swimming world record was broken at the olympics just because of the technology that the pool was built with, like guttering systems to absorb waves and make turns quicker, not to mention the swimmers' suits.
Like in running, Bolt barely edged out Johnson's record from what, like 30 years ago? You could never hold a record that long in a sport like swimming. I just think that pools should be regulation, not all different like baseball fields.

FYI, Michael Johnson's record of 19.32 seconds in the 200 Meters was set in 1996. It was only 12 years, but I thought that it would last forever. That time is just mind-boggling.

Lol, I know, I exaggerated for dramatic effect. I was at the Atlanta games.
Anywho, the point was that nobody will be able to set lasting records in a sport like swimming where technology dictates how fast you can go. What's the point of keeping records like that if they are broken every 4 years?

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 08-23-2008 03:36 PM

Thrasher, if you're going to exaggerate, then exaggerate. As DF says, "you haven't done thus and such for 100 years." Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

OK. OK.  I'll try again, lol.

Usain Bolt broke Michael Johnson's record that's been around since the IX olympics.

Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@thrasher865 wrote:
OK. OK.  I'll try again, lol.

Usain Bolt broke Michael Johnson's record that's been around since the IX olympics.

Smiley Happy

Better. Now, that's how you exaggerate.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.