Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Service?

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Military Service?

@Junejer wrote:
It wasn't funny the first time that you posted this, MV and it's not funny this time either (I honestly don't care if Kipling published it or not).

I wasn't particularly amused by it either, but since MV is a friend I decided to give the benefit of a doubt, and out of respect I didn't say anything. But since you brought it up, I have to agree and say my feeling is about the same.
Message Edited by Guardian on 02-18-2010 11:14 AM

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 61 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guardian wrote:

@Junejer wrote:
It wasn't funny the first time that you posted this, MV and it's not funny this time either (I honestly don't care if Kipling published it or not).

I wasn't particularly amused by it either, but since MV is a friend I decided to give the benefit of a doubt, and out of respect I didn't say anything. But since you brought it up, I have to agree and say my feeling is about the same.
Message Edited by Guardian on 02-18-2010 11:14 AM

Not sure if it is funny or not, but I am not offended by it.  I think we are all mature enough to not take something like that to heart -- even if it were designed to be derogatory, which I am not sure it was intended to be.
Message 62 of 80
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Yes, and that's why I initially and later let it go but since Byrd is also a friend, I wanted to get the perspectives on the record, that's all. No offense taken personally, just in general found it insensitive to some.

Message 63 of 80
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I survived a year in Vietnam. What could anyone do to me or say to me or say about me that would ever be any worse than that?

I think this thread has run it's course. It's gone from light hearted and good natured ribbing to actual insults. 

I won't venture this way again.

Message 64 of 80
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that MV meant anything derogatory about it either. I love MV. However, I am looking at the big picture. People who might venture in here and don't know MV's humor (dry sometimes Smiley Wink ) could get downright offended. There are many terms that we could throw out at the other branches of service, but it's not productive.

*climbs down from soapbox*

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 65 of 80
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I survived a year in Vietnam. What could anyone do to me or say to me or say about me that would ever be any worse than that?

I think this thread has run it's course. It's gone from light hearted and good natured ribbing to actual insults. 

I won't venture this way again.

As a brother in arms, let me assure you that no offense was intended and I know many of the people here and I know them to be good people. If there was any perceived insult, please take it with a grain of salt and be assured it was not intended to belittle or dismiss anyone's contributions, efforts and services to this country; regardless of branch of service. This written medium lends itself to misunderstandings and often the emotional or state of mind of a person when posting is lost in the delivery. However, I do agree that this thread has run its course and perhaps someone will lock it so we can all move on. Semper Fi.

Message 66 of 80
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I see that while I was writing my reply, Byrd already commented and stated pretty much the same thing I said. Thanks.

Message 67 of 80
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I intended no offense to anyone.  Kipling was one of the greatest defenders of the rank and file soldier in Victorian England, at a time when they were not well thought of, and he got a lot of stick for it.

To Thomas Atkins

O there'll surely come a day
    When they'll give you all your pay,
And treat you as a Christian ought to do;
    So, until that day comes round,
    Heaven keep you safe and sound,
And, Thomas, here's my best respects to you!

Then there was Tommy:

Oh its Tommy this, and Tommy that and "Tommy go away"

But its "Thank you mister Atkins" when the band begind to play

So it is a compliment, not an insult!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 68 of 80
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If anyone ever read his work you would know that he grossly misused the word and did not mean it in the way it has been perceived by many. He was actually paying respect to the Marine, saying they have the abilities of both a soldier and a sailor.
Message Edited by guiness56 on 02-19-2010 05:37 PM
Message 69 of 80
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I am personally familiar with the works and I understand their inherent meaning but as I said it is a "perceived" dig which some find offensive due to the tone of it, especially if cited in brief or out of context. That's all. As I said I could see the offense but I didn't take it personally; however, I had to acknowledge that some do have a misconception of the meaning and it could offend.

Message 70 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.