Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Military Service?

Let it go people! Jeez.
Message 71 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all due respect to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I think that it's plainly obvious, by now, that there was no offense intended or implied, by Kipling or the member who paraphrased him.

The fact of the matter is that all people will take offense at something at some time. Heck, give me five minutes and my morning tea, and I'll have my hackles up about something! LOL! Just can't be helped-- Try as we might, we can't always perceive "tone" in the written word, and we shouldn't always infer nefarious intent, just because a word, or a phrase has been so misused & misunderstood that it's become an 'urban dictionary' euphmeism for something offensive. Sometimes, practicality & the benfefit of doubt must prevail.

And, frankly, I'm never totally against words or phrases that move us, because the stirring and the moving frequently lead to a new or greater understanding & common ground, if we don't allow ourselves to become obstinate & blinded by our kneejerk feelings first. There is no modern application or implication that will change that Kipling intentionally butchered the word "hermaphrodite" to strip out out the specific reference to gender (or lackthereof), and to substitute it with a broader meaning of 'two things in one'. It's a celebration, not an insult.

But, speaking of 'insults'...

Just in this thread, I've smiled a lot at the never quite forgotten sense of camraderie expressed through running the 'other' branch down. Mercilously teasing one another, not out of disgust or lack of respect, but out of the type of pride that exists between competitive siblings-- poking fun at those things that differintiate us, all the while knowing, and appreciating, that it's those differences that have kept many of us alive. Not that we'd ever admit it. Some people won't understand it, just as they don't understand a pack of too rough & tumble brothers, or a gaggle of cat-fighting sisters, who, when the day is done, would turn on you as a unit if you so much as look at one of their own wrong.

It's a testament to our long histories, and our devotion to one another. Not even a slightly misunderstood & long dead poet, whose words we could mince forever, could ever change that. It's amazing-- always has been, and always will be!

Here's to all of our servicemen & women (all who have gone before us, who serve now, and to those who will heed the calling), and the families & civilians that have supported us all!

Semper Fi

Message Edited by LilMirth on 02-20-2010 09:01 AM
Message 72 of 80
Speedjunkiejp
Established Member

Re: Former Military?

Air Force here! 2002-2007 
6/27/2014 Start

Starting Score: 549
Current Score: 549
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 73 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

I served in the US Army.  Enlisted in the National Guard when I was 17, later went active duty, only to return to the Guard again a few years later.
Message 74 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

1979 - 1981 USCG 

1985 - 1991 US Army

Message 75 of 80
JMN
Frequent Contributor

I'm not enlisted yet, but I'm considering U.S. Navy or U.S. Air Force. Trying to figure out if I wanna go now or wait until I finish my degree and go in as an Officer. Smiley Happy

And, of course, thanks to everyone who has served out great nation!! Smiley Happy

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 76 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

guiness56 would be a she, not a he with the AF Smiley Happy I've been away too much, but my husband just deployed on the 9th and we've been quite busy trying to get things together before he left. He is wanting to extend an extra year, even though he knows he'll have to probably go to Ganny, but with the rate my body is falling apart, I may not make it through this deployment. The added stress from his idiot creditors is making me crazy. We should have signed the POA in blood. NFCU will only honor it for 24 hr's then it's no good??? Insane! USAA is still #1 in my book after all the crying and emotional turmoil of trying to get everything in order. Thank goodness someone is there to assist and appreciate the spouse left behind.

Off my soapbox...Smiley Sad

Message 77 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry guiness. I didn't read past page 2. I see you set the record straight. My appologies.

Message 78 of 80
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry guiness. I didn't read past page 2. I see you set the record straight. My appologies.

Hey, I haven't talked to you in AGES!

And no apologies needed, with two of us attesting to the fact I am a her, maybe there will be no more confusion!!

Welcome back.

Message 79 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks hun. I was just breezing through to check and see if my TU score was up. It's not, I think my husband's must be the one being monitored, because I'm paying for the quarterly for someone...

I won't broadcast your name but it's definitely female Smiley Happy

Message 80 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.