Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Honolulu to mainland

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Moving from Honolulu to mainland

Need some feedback from the readers. I've been in Honolulu for about 9 months and will be returning to the mainland in September. Is it worth it to ship furniture and household goods back or sell them before I leave? The cost of the shipping is going to come out of my pocket this time around and not from my employer. I've put out some inquiries for estimates and that's been about 2 weeks now and haven't gotten any quotes back yet. Just curious about cost and whether or not it's worth the hassle.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving from Honolulu to mainland

I think the actual question is are the things you want shipped worth it?

I moved 1500 miles away via truck and it cost me $2,200!  I could have replaced everything that wasn't of sentimental value for less than that price.

I write cargo insurance and it isn't cheap.........I also see the HGTV channel where people go over a boat for homes and all items are included in price (of course most of the time it is international, but either way it is by sea and expensive).........

I'd suggest UPS'ing the sentimental items and selling the rest.....

Happy Moving!!!! 

Message 2 of 3
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving from Honolulu to mainland

Thanks for the advice. I finally got some quotes back (9 quotes in all) and the most reasonable, bonded and insured (they ship door to door) was $4,880. That included pick up at my current residence and unload at my new home in Florida. I also got 3 quotes back to ship my motorcycle and they ranged from $1,025 to $2,500. I'm thinking that the best route to go is to sell everything here (I'll ship the motorcycle) and buy new in Florida. With the way the economy is, I'm sure it's going to be easy to sell here for a discount rather than ship.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.