Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My father has lung cancer

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

My father has lung cancer

My father learned today that he has a small nodule of lung cancer. I gather this is a slow-growing
one, as the doctors want to do another scan and biopsy in October, but I have no idea what the
long-term prognosis is.  They had been puzzled for a while because he was retaining too much

fluid, and I gather now they think this may be the cause of that.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My father has lung cancer

Sorry, Matt.
Message 2 of 18
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I am very sorry to hear that my friend. As someone who has tangled with something similar, I can tell you that it sucks but be positive and keep at it and hope for the best. I wish you all the best.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 18
Henrietta23
Valued Member

Matt, this is a big day for you and your family.  I hope you receive lots of support.  It has been 29 years since I learned that my father had lung cancer.  You are lucky to still have your father.  You will be able to make many wonderful memories that will stay with you throughout your life. 
Message 4 of 18
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Matt,

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. I hate, hate, hate cancer and it has stolen way too many loved ones. Take it a day at a time (and there may be days when you take it an hour or one minute at a time) but keep putting one foot in front of the other. There will be bad days but there will also be many good days. Remember that the doctors are not God; they do their best to advise and predict but they are only human. 

You and yours are in my thoughts.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 5 of 18
MattH
Senior Contributor

Thanks everybody for your support.

During the night I dreamed that we had taken a sample of tissue from Dad's lung and run it through our genomics systems and I was analyzing the data using the same statistical data mining tools as I use in my work as a pharmaceutical researcher.

Of course in the real world my training as a research scientist will be of extremely limited value in this situation; I work on viral diseases and know very very little about oncology so we'll have to trust the physicians here.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 18
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear the news, Matt.

I hope they've caught it early enough and can treat it and make him be one of the ones who comes out the other side okay; not every case of lung cancer is terminal, so I'll be keeping fingers crossed that he's one of those 'not everys'.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 7 of 18
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

VERY SORRY to read this Matt.  It's a horrible disease.  I hope it was caught early enough to make a difference for him.

Hugs, R

Message 8 of 18
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Sending you and your father my best thoughts.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry to hear about your father, Matt.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.