Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My father's eyesight is going

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My father's eyesight is going

My father lives alone about 20 minutes away from me, my mother died 8 years ago, and his eyesight has steadily gotten worse over the years.  He has had glaucoma, cataracts, a retinal transplant, and now has macular degeneration.  He started a treatment of several shots to try and stop the degeneration.

I just got off the phone with him and he said that he is afraid to drive anymore because he has blind spots.  He has a friend that picks him up every day and they go to a senior center to socialize and play pool, will take him to the bank or whever.  My brother took him to the grocery store last week and I said I would come over tomorrow on my lunch hour to take him.

He has mentioned getting a one of those bikes like a 3-wheeler that is motorized and that he thinks he would like that.  Does anyone know of a good brand, have experience with one?  He would just like a way to make little trips to a neighborhood store, stuff like that.  He can't walk long distances. 

I am worried about him and the few times we have discussed what the future will bring he has said that he doesn't want to move out of the house he has been in for over 50 years.  My brother said that he is thinking of moving in with him so he doesn't need to move (my brother is single with two grown kids).  I have a two storey house with no bedroom on the first floor and he can't go up and down the stairs.  Money isn't an issue but no one wants to see him in assisted living anyway.  He is such a kind and gentle man, much loved, and it breaks my heart that this is happening to him.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My father's eyesight is going

Sorry to hear abt your father, your brother moving in sounds like a good idea.  I've never had any experience with any of the motorized carriers, I've seen the hoveround advertised on tv.  But don't know which is best.   Good Luck Vicki
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Macular degeneration runs in our family. My grandfather had it. My uncle has it. And my dad is starting to show eyesight problems but hasn't been diagnosed but opts to be checked annually.

Its not fun. I remember my grandfather had problems with cataracts and it was through a follow-up appointment that macular degeneration came up when in his late 60's. We were proactive in helping him as the disease progressed. We bought him books-on-tape. Talking watches. Talking alarm clocks. We would crease his money in ways so as to identify $100 from $1. But most importantly we never ever discouraged him from doing anything.

He would still walk up to a mile a day by himself without the use of a walking stick. He did get discouraged due to not being able to recognize people. Despite his blindness, he ran his own antique business but was swindled many a time because some dishonest customers would claim to give him $100 for a purchase but only would give him $1. He would always read the stock pages and that bothered him because he couldn't read it. But he still kept his optimism. He had accepted it but remained practive about it.

My uncle showed signs of MD in his late 60s as well. It bothered him greatly as he was a pilot. He had to cut his golf game short. My dad is prepared, I hope as he is now in his late 60s.

Seeing the genetic properties of this, I take steps to stop this. I have a healthy vitamin regiment and wear sunglasses where ever possible.

I rambled a bit too much, but family is key.

Message 3 of 8
demi
Established Contributor

Both my Mom and my Aunt (her sister) have M.D.  My mother about 4 years ago started noticing problems and went thru a treatment where they injected her with something to be able to zap, and she couldn't go outside for 3 or 5 days, don't remember what the treatment was called.  It pretty much stopped the progression until about 2 months ago, and she has started on the shots in her eye every six weeks (2 so far).  Its hard, she still has a lot vision left, she can read, but its depressing for her.  I try to turn it around by saying how lucky she is, that there are treatments, and hopefully they have stopped the progression.  My Aunt's (younger sister) hit about the same time, and I think hers is a little worse.  Both still drive, my Mom has to take a special driving test that she totally "aced" this time, but she doesn't drive at night, and just plain doesn't feel comfortable on the larger freeways (I think this is more from living in the "sticks").  She has always been terrible about skin protection and sunglasses.  She is taking the vitamins, I am wondering if my sister and I should start on them.

My eye doctor told me there is definately a genetic component to the disease, more common in females, european dissent (very Scotch)  and sun exposure.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If  sight in decreasing, He should get in touch with your state's agency for the blind, They have lots of adaptive equiptment. that can help your Dad function as best as possible. Some of the equiptment will enhance his safety so that way perhaps, falls or burns or such can be avoided. If your DAd is a veteran , call local vet hosp for BLind Rehab.If these helping programs are started when there is some sight it is much easier. And encouragement from those who go the same pass is invaluable.  
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

demi wrote:
Both my Mom and my Aunt (her sister) have M.D.  My mother about 4 years ago started noticing problems and went thru a treatment where they injected her with something to be able to zap, and she couldn't go outside for 3 or 5 days, don't remember what the treatment was called.  It pretty much stopped the progression until about 2 months ago, and she has started on the shots in her eye every six weeks (2 so far).  Its hard, she still has a lot vision left, she can read, but its depressing for her.  I try to turn it around by saying how lucky she is, that there are treatments, and hopefully they have stopped the progression.  My Aunt's (younger sister) hit about the same time, and I think hers is a little worse.  Both still drive, my Mom has to take a special driving test that she totally "aced" this time, but she doesn't drive at night, and just plain doesn't feel comfortable on the larger freeways (I think this is more from living in the "sticks").  She has always been terrible about skin protection and sunglasses.  She is taking the vitamins, I am wondering if my sister and I should start on them.

My eye doctor told me there is definately a genetic component to the disease, more common in females, european dissent (very Scotch)  and sun exposure.

Yes, MD is hereditary, so everyone out there with a family history, be careful, and get your yearly eye exam!!  DH's grandmother has it, so she doesn't know what I look like.  We wish we could show her our wedding album!!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really sorry to hear about your father Pamela.

I did come across an article one of my friends posted about the motorized scooters that people need to be aware of. Some scams with people selling them. (She's with the BBB)

DH's grandma recently got one and she is blind in one eye and not seeing so well in the other. I will ask to see how she is doing with her's and if she likes it. She broke her hip from falling several times, so she is forced to use it. I doubt she will have too many good things to say about it since she still continues falling from not wanting to use it very much. I think most of it is she can't see well enough to figure out the controls on it. It's sad this happens. Maybe if your father gets one while his vision is well enough, he won't have these problems.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pamela-

So sorry about your father's sight.  It will be a big adjustment for him.  Of course he doesn't want to leave his home, but as he ages his only options might be live-in help or moving into assisted living.  Many people love their assisted living communities--he obviously enjoys visiting the senior center--an AL facility might be similar.   This might be way in the future as many blind people are able to live on their own, but we all have to consider these things with our parents at some point.  Good luck!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.