Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My stepfather has jaw cancer.

tag
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

My stepfather has jaw cancer.

Lifesaver (the candy) turned out to be life saving!

In Jan my stepfather was using lifesaver to try to stop smoking, then under his tongue he had something like a canker sore.We thought it maybe a reaction from the lifesaver or something,so we took him to the dentist to find out. The dentist did some xrays and said, the place under his tongue was from his teeth cutting it and because of what the x-rays showed he would be sending him to surgeon who specialized in oral & maxillofacial cancers.

I have learned alot about cancer in the last few months.The doctor told us, that 3 out of 4 people with oral cancer have used tobacco,alcohol or both.Also these types of cancer are usually not found until stages 3 or 4.My fathers is a stage 4 because of the size, on the xray it looks like a size of a quarter. If it wasn't for the Lifesaver candy, it's no telling when we would've found it.

His surgery was on Friday, it took 6 long hours.They took out half of his jaw and the surrounding lymph nodes and then put in a plate to replace his jaw.After recovery and he was in his room,he became very confused and agitated. He also has mild dementia. He thought he was in a car wreak and pulled out his IV's,it took 7 people to hold him down, so they restrained him.The doctor came back in at Am Saturday and gave him some meds to relax.Friday night and Saturday was kind of rough.Sunday was better, he rested most of the day.

My step fathers name is Gordon. So If ya'll what to pray for him and his family , I would appreciate that very much. Have a blessed day. Smiley Happy

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My stepfather has jaw cancer.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Step-Father, LIGHTNIN! I'll definitely keep him, and your family in my thoughts.

Message 2 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about that.  You should contact Wrigley, so, that they can hear how lifesaver candy saved your stepfather's life.

Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear that LIGHTNIN. There are really no adequate words of comfort at a time like this but I hope it all turns out well.

Message 4 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Lightnin,

I will say a special prayer each, and every  night for him until he is well.  I am a true believer in the power of prayer. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 10
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Thank you all very much, I wish I could hug each and every one of you to thank you. So I am sending a air hug to all of you.

One thing that is positive that came out of this is it has bought our family closer together.

To Imhotrodcrazy ....I am a believer in power of prayer too.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

so sorry to hear this.  i'm glad that it was discovered, even if it was late in the game.  best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Message 7 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Lightnin, you have my prayer for Gordon, and for your entire family.

Believe.

Message 8 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

I haven't been on these forums for a while -- busy with other things -- so didn't see this thread until now.  I will keep your stepfather and his family in your prayers.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope Gordon is recovering very nicely, it is times like this that brings Families closer.

I wish you and your Family all the best, I will include Gordon in my prayers.

Please do keep us updated.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.