Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naked DSL

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Naked DSL

Hi, all!

I'd like to know if anyone here has ditched the landline at home, but has kept DSL services going. 

I've looked around a bit, and I've discovered that ATT and other carriers offer a "naked DSL" service (DSL, but with no phone service), and it seems that they each charge about the same fees as if the phone line was active, too.

Am I stuck with paying the inflated fees for this DSL-only line, or are there alternatives?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!   

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Naked DSL

I currently have a "Naked DSL" service with Verizon, but recently (last few months) received an email from them saying that going forward, any new internet service HAS to be coupled along with a landline, even if you are a current customer who will be moving.

I'm moving in November and was already personally told as well, that even though I don't have a landline and I will be moving, I'd have to couple the service.

What they did tell me was that there would be no change in my monthly fee for the service. Whether that remains true, remains to be seen... because I'll never find out. Because I'm sure the fee for the extra line is going to be hidden in the internet fee.

I'm switching to Optimum Online when I move into the new place.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got naked DSL from AT&T, and it was running $45/mo for 6mbps. I called and asked for a loyalty promotion and got it dropped to $28/mo.

I understand why they want to bundle, but I'm absolutely not interested, because it really limits your options to comparison shop. Not a free market so much, I'm afraid.

Message 3 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

Loyalty promotion?

Interesting. I like that idea.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

Loyalty promotion?

Interesting. I like that idea.

See Clark Howard's website.

My favorite tactic is when a company you already subscribe with sends you a "new customer" promotion, which is usually 30-75% off of what you pay per month. Call them up and bluntly ask them to match it, and they'll come back with "customer loyalty promotions." If they don't then you either cancel your service (funny how a new customer loyalty promotion just came up!) or you live with it.

Up to you, but for me it's worked with AT&T's naked DSL (~50% off) and Dish Network (~20% off). Electricity and insurance are, unfortunately, usually "shop around every year" experiences.

EDIT: In both cases, the service folks were more than happy to work through it; I suspect it's quite common.

Message 5 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies!

The loyalty program angle will certainly be explored, and I'll be looking at other carriers/services as well.

(I'll take a whack at getting Dish to lower its rates while I'm at it...)

Thanks again!  Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

... and I'll be looking at other carriers/services as well.

Good luck... In my neighborhood, they're only one of two DSL providers available, that I could find (the other being an equally "bundle-loving" provider.)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.