Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Business Law research paper topic

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a Business Law research paper topic

Hey all. Does anybody have any advice on a research paper topic...maybe in the area of consumer credit? It has to be built around a thesis that tackles a legal issue (that maybe makes one say, "that isn't fair") and it must be one that I believe the courts need to rule on. Just throwing that out there since I am experiencing quite a challenge coming up with something myself. Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need a Business Law research paper topic

Credit related? Probably the practice of rate jacking and other AA practices by CCCs (CLDs, added fees, etc.). More specifically, if I wrote a paper, I'd link in the new credit card law in relation to these actions.

Message 2 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Confusing, non-real credit scores being sold as real?

Lack of ability to get real credit scores?

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thinking, that was actually one particular area that my wife has dealt with in the past. I just need to focus my thesis on a statement that identifies an actual legal issue and tackle it as one that the courts should address. Thanks for the input. It's an excellent suggestion, and one that I find very intriguing.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midnight, I actually started with that particular issue, but I need to nail it down to the legality of the issue. I actually have alot of supporting ideas for expounding on that issue, but I need to get at the heart of the real legal issue, not that it's unfair or even discriminatory. Great thinking though.
Message 5 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

If false advertising is against the law, you have a legal issue.

If telling lies in advertising is "just honest capitalism" then there is no legal issue  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I think it would be interesting to explore if/what legal remedies exist for the victim of identity fraud/theft perpetrated by a family member on a dependant child, specifically for the purpose of obtaining credit.

Message 7 of 12
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all. Does anybody have any advice on a research paper topic...maybe in the area of consumer credit? It has to be built around a thesis that tackles a legal issue (that maybe makes one say, "that isn't fair") and it must be one that I believe the courts need to rule on. Just throwing that out there since I am experiencing quite a challenge coming up with something myself. Thanks.

How about an important historic subject: the Pecora Commission of the 1930s that was charged with investigating the causes of the Great Depression and proposed far-reaching reforms, many of which were enacted in some form?

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 12
bicknar
Regular Contributor

How about credit scoring as a risk assessment tool in the insurance industry.  Some states allow it, some don't.  Some companies use it.  Some don't.  Bottom line the question is, Is someone's credit rating indicative of their insurance risk.  To put it in the form of a question...

I've never had an accident, but didn't always pay my bills.  Should I pay more than the guy with the accountant and 3 accidents?

Just a thought.  Too early to be thinking, I'm going back to my coffee.

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
MattH
Senior Contributor

@bicknar wrote:

How about credit scoring as a risk assessment tool in the insurance industry.  Some states allow it, some don't.  Some companies use it.  Some don't.  Bottom line the question is, Is someone's credit rating indicative of their insurance risk.  To put it in the form of a question...

I've never had an accident, but didn't always pay my bills.  Should I pay more than the guy with the accountant and 3 accidents?

Just a thought.  Too early to be thinking, I'm going back to my coffee.

And even if a credit score is statistically indicative of a person's insurance risk, is it good public policy to allow insurers to use it?  We do have laws that say some types of information may not be used even if they might have statistical predictive power, such as ethnic origin or genetic information.  Or suppose it turns out to be the case statistically that followers of certain religions live longer because following their rules encourages healthy living; in most places I think it would be illegal for life insurance companies to charge higher rates to people who are not members of such religions.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.