Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new laptop. Help please!

tag
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a new laptop. Help please!

If you want the quality and reliability, OP, id suggest a Sony or a Lenovo(IBM). Very sturdy and reliable and dont breakdown as quickly as the others. You can definitely get one of these with a good config within your budget.

I often browse the following websites for deals.

dealstobuy.com

edealinfo.com

tigerdirect.com

bestbuy.com

You could else go for HP. They are pretty good. Else, compaq, dell, acer etc.

For most applications and multitasking (other than gaming), a typical processor would do. You would need substantial RAM (2GB or more) for windows vista. 1 gig will do for an XP in which case you could find a lenovo for 500 bucks. Some business laptops have an option to downgrade to XP and most laptops otherwise have an option to upgrade from vista to 7 which are not very different. If you are familiar with linux, thats a very good option.

You could look for the following;

1) Processors: pentium, pentium dual core, core duo, 2 duo, turion etc. Avoid anthlons and celerons and atoms.

2) RAM: Look for 1GB or atleast 2 GB for vista. You would need atleast 4 gb RAM for a 64 bit processor. And the fastest FSB possible. I think the best that are in offer right now are 800MHz.

3) Aesthetics: screen size (15 is good), keyboard quality and comfort, general design, weight, color, number of ports etc.

HDD, video ram, cache etc are usually more than sufficient in all the available models and need not be a major concern.

As long as you take of them, dont drop them when they are ON if not at all, are careful with the adapter pin etc etc, they'll last a few years. Around 2-3 after which it would come down to the brand itself and this is another area where a sony or a lenovo will outdo others. When it comes to cellphones and laptops, I look for the best bang for my buck rather than the long term usage as in my case, I know I will keep changing them. If you are looking for somethign for long term, maybe you could spend more now and get the best one out there. Good luck.

Message 11 of 18
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really think that the Acer laptop would fit what I need. And what a great price. At this point I would only need something to get me through my last 2 years of college and then could get something that would have more bells and whistles.

I really have enjoyed my HP laptop. I was looking at HP's but they seemed really expensive at this point. If I could get an Acer for $400 and it lasted at least 2 years that would be great. Until a better paycheck starts coming in.

Those new netbooks look really cool. But I would really like to have a dvd drive. My daughters like to watch movies on the laptop (well they did before the drive went out).

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 12 of 18
MattH
Senior Contributor

@dizbuster wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really think that the Acer laptop would fit what I need. And what a great price. At this point I would only need something to get me through my last 2 years of college and then could get something that would have more bells and whistles.

I really have enjoyed my HP laptop. I was looking at HP's but they seemed really expensive at this point. If I could get an Acer for $400 and it lasted at least 2 years that would be great. Until a better paycheck starts coming in.

Those new netbooks look really cool. But I would really like to have a dvd drive. My daughters like to watch movies on the laptop (well they did before the drive went out).

There are plenty of USB optical drives available for netbooks.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 18
cobra19
Valued Contributor

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338427,00.asp

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 14 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Susyquk wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
. Mine runs hot, but it seems to be mostly OK. So I just bought a refurbed MacBook Pro, and DD#2 will get my hot-but-runs laptop.

olol... now don't get me wrong, I love my MacBook Pro more than anything in this world (other than my mom and husband) but you don't know hot until you own one of these... seriously, my friend fell asleep with his in his lap and when he woke up took a half inch circle of skin with the laptop when he moved it off his legs! Don't fall asleep with it on you!

However 4 years in to having it I have only had to replace one part (the fan) at a cost of $82 although the battery now only lasts about 45 mins so I do need to replace that which will be another $100 but it's still one of the loves of my life

lol, good to know. So far, it's cool (in all senses of the word.) I forgot to shut it down last night, so it's been on for 24 hours, and I'm still on battery. Amazing.

The Genius at the local store (I immediately got lost in password heck and had to go in for a rescue) said that it's actually the current model. Someone must have gotten buyer's remorse and returned it. So anyway, a new 15.4" MBP for $1,450, no sales tax (state sales tax weekend) and free shipping. Happy, happy so far! Well, other than the M on the keyboard which appears to be an upside-down W. Smiley Very Happy

I looooooove the backlit keyboard...

(sorry for the jack, OP --it looks like you've gotten the info you need. DS has an Acer desktop, and he's been happy with it for a couple of years. And he seriously wears that thing out.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 18
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Well here is the laptop I ordered.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146581

I was all set to order the Acer from Best Buy but it was not available online nor was it available at my local store. I checked out a few sites and this Lenovo from newegg seemed fit what I needed and came at a pretty good price.

Feel free to let me know if you think its a good deal or not.    Thanks.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 16 of 18
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I bought mine here: DELL Outlet

I got a refurb Inspiron 1720, dual core, 40 G HD, can't remember how much memory but several Gigs... about $500 will full warranty.  

NO problems & had it almost a year.

Punch in your spec's & just watch.  Page updates & new stuff added all the time.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 08-22-2009 11:07 AM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

just bought 2 toshibas at walmart.  on sale for 348 and warranty for three years.  they had acers on sale also.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.