Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions for a GOOD vacuum!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need suggestions for a GOOD vacuum!!!

I've gone through FOUR vacuums in the past two years.

Brands I will not use any longer:
Bissel
Eureka
Hoover

I've gone through two Bissels, a low-end and a very high end one.. a mid-line Eureka and a high-end Hoover. They all sucked, or rather, haven't sucked hard enough!!

I've had problems w/ an engine catching on fire, holes in the covering of the electrical cord, and most recently, the high-end Bissel that I JUST BOUGHT two months ago, the spring that lines the suction hose collapsed, so every time the vacuum was turned on, the suction would close off in the hose and it couldn't suck anything up.

I realize that I just cut out three of the major brands, really limiting my options, but if anyone has a vacuum that they've had FOR YEARS that they've NEVER had problems with.. when I was growing up, we had the same vacuum for at least 10 years that I remember.. the handle was duct-taped on, but that sucker always worked with no problems! I want one like that!

I'm not that rough on vacuum cleaners, I swear Smiley Sad My husband is ready to kill me.. we've spent like $600 on vacuums in the past two years!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for a GOOD vacuum!!!

Dyson.....just an all around awesome vacuum.  I bought my animal from an auth. resaler on eBay and saved $100!!!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

ivy my Mom used to clean houses for a living and swears by Sears Kenmore canister vaccuum. She's on her second in 20 years and even got my Auntie and Uncle to buy one and love it.
Message 3 of 13
shawnette
Regular Contributor

ivyalmighty wrote:

... I'm not that rough on vacuum cleaners, I swear Smiley Sad My husband is ready to kill me.. we've spent like $600 on vacuums in the past two years!

Um, ok. If you say so, lol.

I had a Eureka that I bought at a garage sale that lasted me from 93-2002.  I have no idea how old it was when I bought it and it still worked when I replaced it.  I wanted more suction, though, so I replaced it with a Bissell 12 amp bagless.  I've had it for almost 3 years and it's freakin' awesome!! 

(Yes, I know the years don't add up, but from 2002-2004, I had terrazo floors and the swiffer worked just great.)
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Kenmores for price and durability.  Mine is over 6 years old so far, and seems to do fine with disintegrating Christmas trees (when you leave the cut tree up too long and it dries out, it leaves most of itself just inside the door as you haul it out...), long-haired ladies, and 9 kitties and their shedding, yakking, and other carpet abuse.

We replaced the belt ourselves last winter, and that's about all we've had to do with it.

-MsMS
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same Oreck vacuum for 6 years. But I have to use the canister vac to clean the baseboards, which is a pain. But I use my Oreck daily as it lightweight.

It cost about $300, but it came with an 8 year warranty and free cleaning and inspections. I haven't had any problems to date.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As heavy as it may be, Kirby is king.  It will out last the cockroaches in a nuclear fallout.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about the Rainbows? Anyone have opinions about Rainbow?
I was pretty into one a few months ago, my neighbor had one and LOVES it.. but one day they sent a door-to-door guy and it got ugly. He refused to leave and actually copped an attitude! So I wouldn't buy one after that.. are they as good as some people say? Don't you get like lifetime free bags and service and stuff?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL shawnette...
I just figured you decided to stop vacuuming for 5 years or so Smiley Wink

And I'm only 5ft tall! I couldn't beat up a vacuum if I wanted to! I think I've just had really, *really* bad luck.
Message 9 of 13
demi
Established Contributor

I think Consumer Reports had Vacuum reviews a few months ago, might want to check out.  Last year bought a Eureka, only 150...it was top rated by them for pet hair, works great for the massive shedding of a Corgi.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.