Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor has hearse parked in front yard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neighbor has hearse parked in front yard

Hello,

I live in Miami and I have this property that my husband and I are hoping to sell when the market picks up. The only problem is that my neighbor has a big hearse parked in their front yard and I'm afraid this will affect how much we can sell our house for. I think they are running some kind of a funeral business out of their house. It's very unsightly to see that thing parked all over the place. I think it is illegal for them to have that in plain sight in a residential neighborhood and it's just bad for the image of the neighborhood that's trying to improve. Can someone tell me what action to take, the rest of the neighbors are complaining too but no one knows what to do. I'm very grateful any advice. Thank you all 
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Neighbor has hearse parked in front yard

ipaytaxes12 wrote: 

The only problem is that my neighbor has a big hearse parked in their front yard and I'm afraid this will affect how much we can sell our house for. I think they are running some kind of a funeral business out of their house.

Okay, first of all... eeewww!  A funeral business out of their house. Like, something shady down in their basement or what? Maybe it's an actual licensed business?? Or perhaps that is just their family car. When I met my DH, he lived in an apartment with a neighbor who drove one all the time. And he was a doctor! Now that's a confidence builder for his patients, right?

Could you talk to your neighbors about it? Just neighborly, not pushy. Maybe they could just pull that lovely thing around back where potential buyers can't see? As far as legalities, I can't imagine that parking it in plain sight would be illegal, but you'd have to check with Miami ordinances or something.

Message Edited by Bzzzymom on 11-23-2008 12:10 AM
Message 2 of 25
marty56
Super Contributor

Actually it may help to improve your home value.  There is a segment of the population that want to live next store to a famliy of serial killers.  They usually dont kill the next store neighbors first.  Unless of course you call the city and complain about the hearse or they read the MyFico forums here.

Depending on your zone laws, people usually cant run a comerical business in a residential area.  As long as the car is running, I dont think there is much you can do about it.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 25
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Marty that usually you can't run a commercial business out of your home. Does the hearse have advertising on it? In many communities, you aren't allowed to park a business vehicle on a residential street or in front of the house (for the reason that it's unsightly).

Finally, a lot of people just buy a "retired" hearse to tool around in, because they think it's cool. There was this kid in college who drove one. I thought it was eerie, he thought it was cool. I also think I remember hearing Chuck Woollery on the Love Connection say that he had one in college too.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. I contacted code enforcement and they are going to do an investigation.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

Actually it may help to improve your home value.  There is a segment of the population that want to live next store to a famliy of serial killers.  They usually dont kill the next store neighbors first. 

You could be those people on the news who say, "He seemed so nice, but there was always that.... smell... from his house."

Message 6 of 25
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Jeffrey Dahmer?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 25
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Actually it may help to improve your home value.  There is a segment of the population that want to live next store to a famliy of serial killers.  They usually dont kill the next store neighbors first.  Unless of course you call the city and complain about the hearse or they read the MyFico forums here.

Depending on your zone laws, people usually cant run a comerical business in a residential area.  As long as the car is running, I dont think there is much you can do about it.

ROTF! Thanks for the hearty laugh.
Message 8 of 25
marty56
Super Contributor

Living in San Antonio, many areas have problems with people having junk cars sitting on blocks.  My neighbor likes to have beer cans on their front lawn and my block has nice homes on it.  I am not a fan of them but homeowners assoication in my area very powerfull in San Antonio and can fix the junk car and beer can problems.  My block doesnt have one.

I would trade the beer cans for the hearse anytime.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 25
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Living in San Antonio, many areas have problems with people having junk cars sitting on blocks.  My neighbor likes to have beer cans on their front lawn and my block has nice homes on it.  I am not a fan of them but homeowners assoication in my area very powerfull in San Antonio and can fix the junk car and beer can problems.  My block doesnt have one.

I would trade the beer cans for the hearse anytime.

I think your neighbors brother lives nextdoor to me. I'm sick of seeing beer cans. Ugh!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.