Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never get anything in your name and someone elses

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never get anything in your name and someone elses

@Tazman81 wrote:

And I do have a document signed by her, that she would be making monthly payments on the 20th of each month.  I also have every payment she has made, and my statements showing the payments.  I have documented every payment she has missed along with my communication to her regarding the missed payments.  I just recently sent her a Recind of Extended Payments and Demand For Full Payment Letter.  That is basically how I learned that she no longer has the vehicle as I told her I was going to come up this weekend to recover the vehicle.  Well, when I call DMV, sure enough, they said that vehicle was no longer titled in my name (in which it was titled in my name in April 2008 when it was purchased).  So that is when they had to start the fraud investigation and when I started doing the investigations on my end as well.  What makes it so bad is that I've known her for YEARS.  She was like a sister to me.  Her family and my family was so close.  But like many on these posts have said, there is a reason that a bank will not loan to a person.  I am hoping to get more information today from DMV and will be going to the dealership to get the paperwork to show that I was on the title (even though DMV has record of it), they want me to provide any "documentation" that I can.  And I was dumb enough to let her hold the original title and everything.  Ah!  Lessons learned the hard way, but they are definitely learned!

Taze, I wouldn't even lend a car to my sister let alone someone like a sister.  Anybody who would defraud you out of a car is not and never has been your friend.  Next time have a lien placed on the title as there is no way to negotiate title with a lien on it unless the lien has been released via the DMV. 

I'd be suing here now before she has a chance to hide assets / change jobs / skip town / clean out her bank account(s).  It should not be difficult to obtain judgment against her and hopefully in your state you can attach wages. 

Message 11 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Taz, please send me a private message on how you are proceeding with this. 

My friend recently divorced.  It was verbally agreed how vehicles would be divided.   They both went down to DMV (VA state) and signed titles.  When it came time to remove my friends name from the title, the EW said uh, no.  It was a hydrid and she would have lost her special HOV priveledges cuz they would have issued a new license plate.  She refused to let him take his name off.  He said fine.

When the law changed and she lost her special priveledges, somehow his name was removed from the title without his knowledge!  He found out, by accident, because he called DMV to follow up on cars in his name.   DMV wouldn't offer more information.  There is no legal document that said the car is hers.  The legal docs actually say that they both own the car.

Suggestions??  So desperately seeking direction on this!   It amounts to grand auto theft here.   And then there are some stocks...and uh...you might get the picture.  But for now, DMV.

Message 12 of 16
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Taz, please send me a private message on how you are proceeding with this. 

My friend recently divorced.  It was verbally agreed how vehicles would be divided.   They both went down to DMV (VA state) and signed titles.  When it came time to remove my friends name from the title, the EW said uh, no.  It was a hydrid and she would have lost her special HOV priveledges cuz they would have issued a new license plate.  She refused to let him take his name off.  He said fine.

When the law changed and she lost her special priveledges, somehow his name was removed from the title without his knowledge!  He found out, by accident, because he called DMV to follow up on cars in his name.   DMV wouldn't offer more information.  There is no legal document that said the car is hers.  The legal docs actually say that they both own the car.

Suggestions??  So desperately seeking direction on this!   It amounts to grand auto theft here.   And then there are some stocks...and uh...you might get the picture.  But for now, DMV.

I posted the link below to the VA DMV Fraud Unit.  They will investigate the title change and be able to provide supporting documents on why the title changed.  They will be able to let you friend know what was used in order to have the title taken out of his name.  Though, normally in the case of a divorce, usually everything is spelled out in the divorce decree.  Is he sure it was not listed in there that she would retain the vehicle?  If so, then that is likely what was used in order to remove the other's name from the title.  Otherwise I would contact them and let them start their investigation.  Of course even though DMV has a record of the name changes, the more supporting documents you can provide the better.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.  Once I have an update on my situation, I will be reposting.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/zerofraud/index.asp

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 13 of 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

He was deployed when she did the paperwork.  She emailed it to him, he printed it out, made a change, had it notarized, sent it to her.  

He later learned that she changed it and filed for divorce.   We will not even get into the details of that....

My friend did get a copy of the final decree, signed by the judge, mailed to him.  The vehicles were not addressed in the divorce or the property settlement.   Verbally, it was to be hers.   Nothing in writing or emails.

Thanks for the link.

Message 14 of 16
Tazman81
Established Contributor

*** UPDATE ***

I went to the dealership and got the paperwork I needed.  I ended up having to call the general manager of the dealership because things were not being taken care of as they should have been.  Just like O6 said, the only thing they had to do was block out her social security number, in which i was fine with that.  Thanks for the advice!  I will let you all know what happens with DMV.  A fraud investigation has been started.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

*** UPDATE ***

I went to the dealership and got the paperwork I needed.  I ended up having to call the general manager of the dealership because things were not being taken care of as they should have been.  Just like O6 said, the only thing they had to do was block out her social security number, in which i was fine with that.  Thanks for the advice!  I will let you all know what happens with DMV.  A fraud investigation has been started.

Great!  Now go get her, bro, and nail her to a cross!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.