Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex Card Design!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Amex Card Design!

The_American_Express_ExplorerTM_Credit_Card.png

Here's a new Amex design which has yet to make it here to the US.  It's now being used overseas as the "Explorer" card.  Here's to hoping this design comes stateside.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex Card Design!

Do a search and you will find many threads on this card. It is not new.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 10
arkane
Established Contributor

Amex Cobalt (a Canadian exclusive) also uses this design.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the card, but I HATE the WiFi symbol. I don't know why but I think it looks tacky and cheap. 

If they take that off then it would be the best LOOKING card out there today.

Message 4 of 10
jlitnns
Established Contributor

wrote:

I like the card, but I HATE the WiFi symbol. I don't know why but I think it looks tacky and cheap. 

Does anyone really use, like actually use it? I never have. I use Apple Pay where available but have never used the tap feature. I like the look of the card though.

Robot Very Happy

Message 5 of 10
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I got my Plat issued in NFC model, and have never used it. Just asked for a replacement as the back of the card is actually seperated and falling off.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone really use, like actually use it? I never have. I use Apple Pay where available but have never used the tap feature. I like the look of the card though.

Robot Very Happy

Yes, in normal countries where people aren't afraid of contactless. It's used everywhere and way more often than any mobile wallet, actually. A "wifi" symbol is required to be displayed on all contactless cards, and I'm not really sure how it comes off as "tacky." 

Message 7 of 10
arkane
Established Contributor

Yep exactly. Why the US is always the last to adopt new technology is beyond me. My first CC I got as a college student in Canada was chip+PIN, and this must've been 2008 or 2010. I was actually shocked to find that chip cards weren't a thing and nobody knew what I was talking about when I moved here in 2012. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Yep exactly. Why the US is always the last to adopt new technology is beyond me. My first CC I got as a college student in Canada was chip+PIN, and this must've been 2008 or 2010. I was actually shocked to find that chip cards weren't a thing and nobody knew what I was talking about when I moved here in 2012. 

1) The media - Looking to scare people over nothing to make a profit. 

2)  Corruption in politics - Which results in a lack of regulation to make business adopt such technology. 

3)  Big Business - They're too cheap to certify, buy the terminals, and they want to track your purchases. 

4)  Society that doesn't like change - Americans are too lazy to adopt it; the media doesn't help matters. 

Just watch, most other countries will convert to electric cars and have 90% > of the cars on the road using the technoloy while America sits back in the gas guzzling age due to all of the above. Oil companies are in the pockets of the politicians, the people don't like change, and other big businesses won't want to build the infrastructure. 

Message 9 of 10
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I have no doubt the US is behind on a lot of things and I'm aware this tech is not new, it's aniquated. NFC is way more convenient and in my experience just as readily available. Plus I can have multiple cards stored on my phone. I haven't carried an actual wallet for 3-4 years. I struggle with the fact I have to keep a Driver's License on me, that's just crazy.

And what was said above ^^, the people that control this stuff want to keep tech marginalized. We're all just pawns playing the game.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.