cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

Established Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

For all those claiming the new site is clearly designed for mobile first, just try using the mobile site. It's even worse than the desktop version.

The mobile site used to be clean and efficient... Now it's got gigantic fonts, horrible inline quote display, and we're forced to see avatars now, which is a further waste of space.

Yes, this is new, and like all new user interfaces lately, functionality is sacrificed to make way for cartoon color schemes and Fischer Price sized text.

Hopefully the mods have some customization power and things will improve, but until then, things are very hard to read and follow on mobile, and I know I will likely be participating far less because of it.

I'll keep checking back periodically... here's hoping there's a Legacy format option somewhere they can turn on for us...

 

Update:

I'm on the desktop site now... Wow.  Now I know what you all meant by wasted space and eye strain.  Smiley Sad

Cap1 Venture: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | NFCU CR: $15K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Cap1 Savor: 10K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | Discover IT: $6K | Sportsman's Guide: $5.9K | NRA: $5.5K | Legacy Visa: $2.75K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | Cap1 PS: 2K | Cabela's: $1K

 

Current Scores: EQ: 718 | TU: 742 | EX: 716



 

Message 81 of 147
Moderator

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!


Dalmus wrote:
For all those claiming the new site is clearly designed for mobile first, just try using the mobile site. It's even worse than the desktop version.

The mobile site used to be clean and efficient... Now it's got gigantic fonts, horrible inline quote display, and we're forced to see avatars now, which is a further waste of space.

Yes, this is new, and like all new user interfaces lately, functionality is sacrificed to make way for cartoon color schemes and Fischer Price sized letters.

Hopefully the mods have some customization power and things will improve, but until then, things are very hard to read and follow on mobile, and I know I will likely be participating far less because of it.

I'll keep checking back periodically... here's hoping there's a Legacy format option somewhere they can turn on for us...

We do not have any ability to change the appearance or style of the forums.  We will have to look to the FICO staff and Lithium to make changes.

Message 82 of 147
Established Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!


Irish80 wrote:

We do not have any ability to change the appearance or style of the forums.  We will have to look to the FICO staff and Lithium to make changes.


 Okay.  Thanks for the info.  At least I know who I have to grumble at!  Smiley Happy

Cap1 Venture: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | NFCU CR: $15K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Cap1 Savor: 10K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | Discover IT: $6K | Sportsman's Guide: $5.9K | NRA: $5.5K | Legacy Visa: $2.75K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | Cap1 PS: 2K | Cabela's: $1K

 

Current Scores: EQ: 718 | TU: 742 | EX: 716



 

Message 83 of 147
Visitor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

Hello MyFico'ers. First post here but have been lurking and learning here for years. Like others, I find this new design to be pretty awful. The site used to be so easy on the eyes to read. Now it's just blinding. I hope you guys can fix this terrible design, or just put it back to the old way. Thank you.

Message 84 of 147
Super Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

There are better forum software alternatives - Am something at a loss though why the forum membership wasn't approached to hash out their opinions and/or offer ideas if there was a choice.

 

Maybe there wasn't a choice but it sure makes a new forum rollout a lot smoother.

 

There are many public forum setups and choices available. This link is only one such forum software alternative.

 

https://xenforo.com/

 

There are tons others and some forum members might even be closely connected to other solutions

Message 85 of 147
Established Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!


CreditMagic7 wrote:

There are better forum software alternatives - Am something at a loss though why the forum membership wasn't approached to hash out their opinions and/or offer ideas if there was a choice.

 

Maybe there wasn't a choice but it sure makes a new forum rollout a lot smoother.

 

There are many public forum setups and choices available. This link is only one such forum software alternative.

 

https://xenforo.com/

 

There are tons others and some forum members might even be closely connected to other solutions


 I totally understand if forum membership wasn't consulted...  After all, as Irish said, the mods didn't select the software, it was selected by the parent corp.  But when the first official post about the new mobile layout is "Don't use the mobile layout.  Switch to the desktop layout," you have to wonder...

 

 What I'm really curious about is after reading their banners for the past week or so about how excited they are about the new layout and how its going to be such an improved user experience... Did they at least TEST the new layout and SEE what it looks like?  Were the moderators at least able to offer any input before the change that was ignored (or considered), or were they blindsided by the awfulness of the layout as well?  Maybe the MyFico parent corp was just sold a bill of goods by Lithium and THEY were surprised by the awfulness as well.

 

(I don't expect any mods to respond.  You folks are meant to be impartial moderators, not take stands on this sort of debate!)

Cap1 Venture: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | NFCU CR: $15K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Cap1 Savor: 10K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | Discover IT: $6K | Sportsman's Guide: $5.9K | NRA: $5.5K | Legacy Visa: $2.75K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | Cap1 PS: 2K | Cabela's: $1K

 

Current Scores: EQ: 718 | TU: 742 | EX: 716



 

Message 86 of 147
Valued Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!


Dalmus wrote:

CreditMagic7 wrote:

There are better forum software alternatives - Am something at a loss though why the forum membership wasn't approached to hash out their opinions and/or offer ideas if there was a choice.

 

Maybe there wasn't a choice but it sure makes a new forum rollout a lot smoother.

 

There are many public forum setups and choices available. This link is only one such forum software alternative.

 

https://xenforo.com/

 

There are tons others and some forum members might even be closely connected to other solutions


 I totally understand if forum membership wasn't consulted...  After all, as Irish said, the mods didn't select the software, it was selected by the parent corp.  But when the first official post about the new mobile layout is "Don't use the mobile layout.  Switch to the desktop layout," you have to wonder...

 

 What I'm really curious about is after reading their banners for the past week or so about how excited they are about the new layout and how its going to be such an improved user experience... Did they at least TEST the new layout and SEE what it looks like?  Were the moderators at least able to offer any input before the change that was ignored (or considered), or were they blindsided by the awfulness of the layout as well?  Maybe the MyFico parent corp was just sold a bill of goods by Lithium and THEY were surprised by the awfulness as well.

 

(I don't expect any mods to respond.  You folks are meant to be impartial moderators, not take stands on this sort of debate!)


My thoughts exactly. This layout was not tested. At work my profile shows my user name way up in the right hand corner next to a HUGE avatar, way out of place. If this were tested problems like that and the blinding layout would not exist. 

Amazon Store Card - 3.7k / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 1k / AMEX Delta - 3.4k / AMEX Hilton Honors - 1.2K / Capital One Quicksilver - 15k / Citi ThankYou Premier - 5.6k / Citi AT&T 4.6k / Citi AAdvantage Platinum - 6.5k / Citi Simplicity - 4.6k / Empower MasterCard - 1k / Navy Federal Flagship - 10k / USAA Limitless - 5k / USAA Rate Advantage - 2k (previously 5k)
Message 87 of 147
Moderator

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

Here’s one fix (thanks @KaLin) for an issue mentioned several times regarding not knowing where you last left off in a thread.  Here’s an image that shows the setting so that when you click on a thread it will take you to the first unread post.  Hope this helps some:

 

349115A1-0120-467D-B901-9E9F4846EA78.png

Message 88 of 147
Valued Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

Thanks, Irish. Smiley Happy

 

That's the single biggest issue with the new setup. That bit of information should be added to the announcement on the main page. Even better, it should be made the default setting so you don't have hundreds of people having to figure out where to find it.

Message 89 of 147
New Contributor

Re: New Forums Experience Coming Soon!

Great news about the new posts jump option. although the count was still very useful information.  is it 1 new post? 10?   An unexpected surprise at every corner.

 

Now I hope they update the default avatar package with round ones, instead of these rectangles that get cut off.

Then a minor tweek of grey background, along with my custom setting of 75% zoom, and we are back in business.

 

Also the pinned topics were nicer in their own box. But I can live with that, adjusting will occur.

Message 90 of 147