cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New car or "cheap" convertible? What would you do?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

New car or "cheap" convertible? What would you do?

I currently drive an '09 Chevy Cobalt with 86k miles. it runs good, gets about 30 MPG and hasn't had many issues. Both front wheel bearings were replaced recently. They were covered under the Powertrain Warranty that will be ending Dec 24th.  I

Part of me wants to get another car. Why? Well, the Powertrain Warranty will be ending soon and I'm concerned with the mileage getting up there and possibly having mechanical problems that will start to cost me money. And if I don't have any problems, I'm wondering what it will be worth in a few more years and when the mileage is over/well over 100k. I would like something bigger. I have 3 kids so this one is getting a little small. Yes I can get by with it, but a mid-side would be more confortable. The other thing is... I'm a car guy. I've been restricted to this car for financal reasons. It wasn't expensive and the gas mileage is good so I have no conplaints there.  But. it's not fun and it's not sporty. It's a way to get from point A to point B. I miss having something that is a reason to get from point A to point B.  What would I get if I replaced the Cobalt? Nothing to spectacular. I'd probably have a limit of about $20-$22k.  I'd have to research it some more and decide if I'd go with brand new (less likely) or something 1-2 years old. I'd probably lower my dollar figure if I went used. Gas mileage is still important. There are a lot of options that get at least 30.

Can't have it all though. Kind of sporty and fun to drive along with dependable and good gas mileage. Another thing that I've been thinking about is keeping my current car and looking for a "cheap" used convertible. Maybe something in the $3-4k range. It doesn't have to be to sporty.  Actually, a car in that price range won't be fast. It would just be a convertible.  Going this route sounds good because if I was to replace the Cobalt, it wouldn't be with a convertible and if I needed some cash in the future I could just sell this one and I'd still have my daily driver.  If I replace the Cobalt, my loan and monthly payment would be higher.

What would you do? And if you think the convertible is a good option, what would you suggest? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Re: New car or "cheap" convertible? What would you do?

If you can get rid of the cobalt I would GM has started making better cars but the cobalt is not one of them. The wheel bearings will keep going out over and over it is a problem with all GM cars from that time. They also tend to have head gasket problems. The newer chevys are really nice and built a lot better now that they are focusing on getting costumers back from other makes. But I would go with a Honda or Toyota they are more dependable. I had a Malibu before and I was constantly working on it and they don't hold value very well. My hondas have had little problems with but they hold value really well are comfortable and get great mpg.

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

All modern cars can easily get to 10 years or more with cheap maintenance generally, seems like a premature worry.

Convertible: falls under midlife crisis or similar least in my opinion: saw the Top Gear for I think it was the F430 Spyder and had to agree with Clarkson's commentary, paraphrased: don't get the convertible unless you're young, have good taste in music, and look good.  Not me, if it's you, go for it Smiley Happy.

Edit: answering the question as I should've: imo - neither, but out of the two options, I don't see as replacing current car as required or even recommended financially, so go have fun.

        
Message 3 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've had a number of 500-600+ horsepower sports cars in the past and a bunch of convertibles. I'm happy to have cheap, reliable transportation right now but miss having some fun. And people said buying a new Corvette convertible when I was 29 was a mid-life crisis Smiley Happy  I wouldn't be looking for anything expensive if I go this route. I was thinking maybe an early to mid 2000 Mustang (6 cylinder would be fine). I'd consider a Sebring or even a VW. I think that's more of a girly car though.

If I replaced my current car, I was thinking about a Chevy Cruze, Hyundai Elantra or I really like the Kia Optima.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 8
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I looked for a month before i found something for my wife.   Just keep you eyes open !  I found a small truck for my son, but they wont have it in 6 months when i need it lol.   Good luck with your search.

Talking about Top Gear, It was on the news that the boys got banned from driving in France for 4 years iirc, LOL

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 5 of 8
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Oh go with the Cruze, love the way they look ! 

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 6 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@KoolDev wrote:

I looked for a month before i found something for my wife.   Just keep you eyes open !  I found a small truck for my son, but they wont have it in 6 months when i need it lol.   Good luck with your search.

Talking about Top Gear, It was on the news that the boys got banned from driving in France for 4 years iirc, LOL

I wonder why! Smiley Happy  I think I've seen most of their shows and find myself thinking "they actually get paid to do that!"

The Cruze is a nice car. GM made that to replace the Cobalt. I've driven a number of them and find it to be a little bigger than the Cobalt. The turbo motor is rated at about 38 MPG highway and the Eco version adds a few more MPG.

For a convertible, I could get one anytime. If I go that route I may be able to find a good deal during the Winter when most people aren't buying them.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would get a GMAC certified 1 year old car low mileage.  Get one as I did and save a bunch of money. Three kids in a convertible you know they would ride in it! ! ! Not a very good idea.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.