Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sports bike

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

New sports bike

Found an excuse to get out of Easter (said had to work) holidays with the in-laws, so I could buy a new sports bike without my wife's interference and objections.  All these years, for the sake of harmony, her vociferous objections has kept me from buying one.  Last time I had a motorcycle was about 10 years ago.

LOL...now, I'm just bracing myself for the storm when she gets back next week.

What do you think guys?  Would you have done it?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: New sports bike

Not just NO but HELL NO!!! LOL

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

Not just NO but HELL NO!!! LOL

LOL...I hear you, having some buyer's remorse now.  Before, I had no fear, but it's settling in after waking up this morning. 

Message 3 of 33
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Well you are a brave one!!!  I hope for your sake the storm is not too bad...

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 33
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Found an excuse to get out of Easter (said had to work) holidays with the in-laws, so I could buy a new sports bike without my wife's interference and objections.  All these years, for the sake of harmony, her vociferous objections has kept me from buying one.  Last time I had a motorcycle was about 10 years ago.

Nope. Lying to get out of the holiday, making a big purchase (and in a woman's eyes a dangerous purchase) knowing your wife's against it. That sounds like a rocky relationship to me. You may have your reasons, but if you have to handle things that way you've probably got troubles that go beyond whatever sh*tstorm you're going to face when she gets back.

Message 5 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Nope. Lying to get out of the holiday, making a big purchase (and in a woman's eyes a dangerous purchase) knowing your wife's against it. That sounds like a rocky relationship to me. You may have your reasons, but if you have to handle things that way you've probably got troubles that go beyond whatever sh*tstorm you're going to face when she gets back.

I see your points, but our relationship is anything but "rocky."  In my situation, I think your comments are a little melodramatic.  Smiley Happy

As to missing the in-laws, I've done that for years, especially during Easter when it's end of year for my work.  As to the "storm," I see it as nothing serious.  In the end, I'm an adult who made a decision with his own money.  I can understand her surprise, but it's certainly nothing that could even remotely lead to a "rocky" divorce.  If it does, then I've married the wrong person!

I appreciate your views and comments.

Message 6 of 33
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

open123....you can call yoursef lucky not to be MY husband! ...hope the storm is less than what my DH would get from me Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 33
dodfire
Valued Contributor

OPEN....true you are an adult and can do what you want. Just that my opinion is there is no ME or MY money in a marriage, however some tend to be different.

I think new Sports Bikes are around $10k yes?

If my wife wanted to go treat herself on a shopping spree for $200-$300 without my consent that would be fine....

IF I came home and she surprised me with a HONEY LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT for $10k-$12k item.....WOW !!! Just WOW!!! Im not sure exactly what I would do.....

Your relationship must be much different than most.....so best of luck with that. 

*8/10/13
Message 8 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:
open123....you can call yoursef lucky not to be MY husband! ...hope the storm is less than what my DH would get from me Smiley Happy

LOL...As I've said, I can imagine her surprise.  

This thread is supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek."  I've learned that after many years of marriage, compromise is an essential component.  It is important to share a life, but also keep those seperate interests unique in us rather than "giving it up" for our spouse.   

Worst comes to worst, I'll just bribe her with a new Hermes or Chanel purse.  *joke* 

Message 9 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

OPEN....true you are an adult and can do what you want. Just that my opinion is there is no ME or MY money in a marriage, however some tend to be different.

I think new Sports Bikes are around $10k yes?

If my wife wanted to go treat herself on a shopping spree for $200-$300 without my consent that would be fine....

IF I came home and she surprised me with a HONEY LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT for $10k-$12k item.....WOW !!! Just WOW!!! Im not sure exactly what I would do.....

Your relationship must be much different than most.....so best of luck with that. 

She has her own accounts, and so do I.  In CA, we can have invidicual CC accounts etc...This portion is mine and from my year end's bonus I get every March.

For me, I don't need her permission to buy things I'd like, and don't expect her to seek mine.  In my view, I don't need her permission to buy a sports bike, but certainly would need to explain it.  

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.