cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing/moving while working 50+hours/wk? VENT!

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Packing/moving while working 50+hours/wk? VENT!

Ugh. My house got started a month late, pushing back my closing. I had hoped my boss would grant my vacation request, but now it looks like he's not going to (long story).  I work 50+ hours a week (salaried) on 3rd shift.  How the HECK am I supposed to paint, install 7 light fixtures, and move while working over the course of one week (time from closing to end of rental)?  Not to mention being a single mom?  I can't afford to hire all of this out thanks to having to put down more of a downpayment than I'd planned (long story), so I guess I won't be sleeping. SO frustrated. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Packing/moving while working 50+hours/wk? VENT!

Have a painting party!  Smiley Happy    And don't forget the candles - becuase instead of painting by numbers, you will be painting by candles.  Smiley Wink

Seriously, don't sweat it.  Lamps work great  until you have the time to install light fixtures.

As for painting, do a room at a time and don't sweat it.  So what if you have to wait a few months. 

I have my own hideous yellow paint partially done in the bathroom.  (Previous owners did a poor job and actually stopped before finished.)   Yes, this bugs me a lot!   So I have partial dirty yellow and I have drywall mud white.   I still haven't had time to paint the bathroom.   But I will get to it eventually.  I moved in June.   And due to a problem with closing, it was pushed back and I actually went to closing and then went TDY immediately after leaving the closing.  I didn't even get to see my new place for a week.  Smiley Sad

And then my moving vehicle was in the shop for another week after that...long story short, I ended up moving myself, in so many daily trips before work and after work (the drive was 2-4 hrs one way) and not getting to the cosmetic stuff in the house.

Lots of us have been where you are now.  Take a deep breath and don't worry about getting it all done right away.  Also, ask friends/family to help out.

Congratulations on your new house!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Major +1 !!

And congrats on the new digs.

Just remember the mantra of a good salesperson (and please remember it, because it's true):  "The pain of buying is long forgotten once you experience the joys of owning..."

You can substitute "the pain of moving" or "the pain of installing fixtures, etc." if you wish.

You'll get through it all, and have stories to share, too. 

And if you don't get any sleep for a week, so what?  That's part of the fun.

All the best to you, and congratulations again!  Smiley Happy

Uborrow-Upay

Message 3 of 6
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Thank you both for the reality check.  I failed to mention that one of my kids is autistic so the house has to be DONE before we can move in or she will freak out. I've tried talking it out with her, but it's just not going to work.

I decided to be proactive, though, and sent my boss a department schedule that would work to allow me my vacation time with minimal impact to the operation, so we shall see what he says.

Thanks again!

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 4 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I'm very proud of you!!

You (and anyone else) can do whatever you want to do in life, as long as you're willing to do it.

And....You're doin' it! 

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Well, I did it and 90% by myself....as DH had to have back surgery.  Just make a LIST, put on some music and go to it.  I hosted two house sales to get rid of anything I didn't want to move.  I donated everything I could to goodwill...you can also call Amvets for a pick-up.

I also had plantar faschitis (sp)...so it was a REAL PAIN, no pun intended!  Moving day came and the movers didn't show up.  After calling them multiple times, they picked up and advised me that they had done a late night move for a dr. and were tired.  I had to call our realtor to find someone, and she did....for $500 more than the other quote as this was a RUSH.  Our buyers had the NERVE to complain at 6:00pm that there was clothing in HER HOUSE.  B****

Sign up for Angie's List as there are specials run by local contractors.  And most important:....breathe deep and try to relax.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.