Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physically and Financially Fit

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Physically and Financially Fit

Are there any other members who are a fitness fanatics?    I workout everyday of the week.  Sometimes twice a day.  It's very important to not only be financially fit, but one should also be physically fit.   Living a healthy lifestyle, regardless of age, is the key to keeping the mind sharp and finances in order. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Physically and Financially Fit

I wouldn't call myself a fitness fanatic, but this year I managed to shed 40 lbs and get down to an ideal body weight.  During the warm weather months, I was biking to work quite often (20 miles round trip), but in the last couple months I haven't been biking at all.  But since I had trained myself to ingest only that amount of calories to maintain my current weight, I haven't gained back any weight despite the lack of exercise (well, maybe 2-3 lbs in 2 months).
Message 2 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

@Lel wrote:
I wouldn't call myself a fitness fanatic, but this year I managed to shed 40 lbs and get down to an ideal body weight.  During the warm weather months, I was biking to work quite often (20 miles round trip), but in the last couple months I haven't been biking at all.  But since I had trained myself to ingest only that amount of calories to maintain my current weight, I haven't gained back any weight despite the lack of exercise (well, maybe 2-3 lbs in 2 months).

20 miles is a long trip.  Great job!!  I bike to and from the gym and on a bike trail during the summer months.  Now that I no longer have a bike, I haven't been biking in the past 3 months. I would do it even during the winter months.  Instead, I run on treadmill 4 times a week and elliptical 3-4 times a week.  I weight train different parts of the body 7 days a week.  I'm 6'1 and weigh 174.  August 2008, I was at 163.  I was mostly all muscles.  Since I workout so much, I have to eat Chinese food at least once a week to maintain the 174lbs.  Other days I'm eating more healthy meals and drink whey protein.  I make sure I eat or drink plenty of proteins to maintain muscles.  

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I tend to be a bit of a health finantic.  Nutrition, exercise and lifestyle are all important to me.

As of late I have fallen a tad bit off the wagon, but till recently I trained 7 days per week, at least 90 minutes per day.  Right now I am averaging 3-4 times per week

In 2004 I weighed in at 242 pounds at just shy of 6 foot.  I now weight around 195 with less than 10 percent body fat, at times as low as 7.

I have used various methods, such as P90x, and other "no gym" training, mostly at home and with systems that I can do anywhere, anytime.

I'm in better shape at 40 than I was in high school as an athlete....and I really enjoy it...because once the health is gone, everything else loses its value or savor.

Message Edited by txjohn on 12-20-2009 10:09 AM
Message 4 of 15
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hi DI - it's the mind/body connection....Working out, eating healthy are keys to anti aging....Vanity keeps me going...and when I don't work out, I feel sluggish, tired and gross. I understand the obsession ( I think I have OCD)....

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Hi, daisyduke!  

I'm glad to see your post.  We miss you.   

Message 6 of 15
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hi UBorrow - thanks for your kind note....it's been a heck of a week. A deer hit my new car on friday night....oh well! i've got insurance...Happy Holidays

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Well, with your insurance, at least it won't cost you any doe... 

(Sorry...couldn't help myself)!  :smileyhappy: 

Happy Holidays to you, too, daisyduke!

Edit to add:  Uh, in response to the topic of this thread (which I seem to have ignored, once again)... I am a slug!  Although at the keyboard of a computer for hours on end to make my living, I seem to get enough physical activity to keep myself in fairly good shape.  How that happens is anybody's guess.

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 12-21-2009 10:08 AM
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a mess physically…..my life insurance premiums are like a small mortgage! 

I've spent the last 7 years in dental school and residency and I can tell you neither one is good for the body. Now that I'm free I was hoping a more normal schedule would allow me more time but with three young kids and work I definitely do not get to the gym as much as I want.  

Message 9 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a mess physically…..my life insurance premiums are like a small mortgage! 

I've spent the last 7 years in dental school and residency and I can tell you neither one is good for the body. Now that I'm free I was hoping a more normal schedule would allow me more time but with three young kids and work I definitely do not get to the gym as much as I want.  

Good morning IDMD-  I know it's hard for some people to get to a gym.  Depending where one lives is even harder.  If it's too hot or too cold, that hinders a person from getting out to the gym

No matter how busy one is, they have to find the time to workout at least 1 hour a day.  Many gyms are open 24/7 and many open up at 4am or 5am.

There are many gyms that have a small day care for members with a family.  

There are many doctors and nurses who I see daily at the gym I go to.  Many come wearing their scrubs right after work.  It's all about one wanting to get to the gym.  If one wants to get to a gym, I guarantee they'll find a way.

On a side note:  My current dentist is in residency, so I know how busy dental students schedule can be.  Thanks for being a dentist!  We do need you all.  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.