Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning HDTV purchase: Warranty considerations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Planning HDTV purchase: Warranty considerations

I posted on the CCs forum a few days ago that I'm planning to buy a new HDTV soon.

To recap, if I use an Amex to buy a TV with a one-year manufacturer's warranty at Costco, I'll get a total of three years under warranty due to Costco and Amex warranty extensions.

I had almost decided on this model:

...until I read that Philips is planning to exit the US market soon.

Should I be concerned about the validity of the warranty and whether it will be honored if they exit the US market before the warranty is up?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Planning HDTV purchase: Warranty considerations

Nope-
I would not worry - (nice TV BTW)

BTW- The price on that TV drops $200 on May 15th to June 1  Looking at the coupon right now-
Message 2 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Dh has a 55" in the basement, watched about 10 hours.  The Bose Home Theater has never been opened (it's 3 years old).  He's waiting for a rainy day I guess.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out hdguru.com.  One thing to consider is whether the TV is even repairable.  Many sets out there, if they break after warranty, will just have to be thrown away because they're not really fixable by virtually all repair shops.
Message 4 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Check out hdguru.com. One thing to consider is whether the TV is even repairable. Many sets out there, if they break after warranty, will just have to be thrown away because they're not really fixable by virtually all repair shops.

Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

KC_Acct_Guy wrote:
Check out hdguru.com.  One thing to consider is whether the TV is even repairable.  Many sets out there, if they break after warranty, will just have to be thrown away because they're not really fixable by virtually all repair shops.

In that case, I would expect Amex to buy me a new one. Smiley Happy

Edit to clarify: That's if it breaks after the manufacturer's original warranty has expired, but within the extended warranty period.  That's three years of warranty coverage anyway.  I'm not too worried if it breaks after that.

When was the last time anyone took a piece of consumer electronics to the "repair shop" anyway?

Message Edited by cheddar on 05-05-2008 10:40 AM
Message 6 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

cheddar wrote:

When was the last time anyone took a piece of consumer electronics to the "repair shop" anyway?

A month ago when my hard drive fried itself.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

cheddar wrote:

A month ago when my hard drive fried itself.

Computers and their components excepted.

Message 8 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out hdguru.com. One thing to consider is whether the TV is even repairable. Many sets out there, if they break after warranty, will just have to be thrown away because they're not really fixable by virtually all repair shops.

In that case, I would expect Amex to buy me a new one. Smiley Happy

Edit to clarify: That's if it breaks after the manufacturer's original warranty has expired, but within the extended warranty period. That's three years of warranty coverage anyway. I'm not too worried if it breaks after that.

Message Edited by cheddar on 05-05-2008 10:40 AM

If it's less than three years old and I paid three large for it...it's going to the repair shop. I am not going to just throw it away.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:

If it's less than three years old and I paid three large for it...it's going to the repair shop. I am not going to just throw it away.

Well, yeah, but this particular item will be under warranty for three years, so I'm not concerned about it breaking down when it's less than three years old.  And it's only about $1100, not $3K.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.