cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please verify the collection agency before paying any money, read my story about being scammed!

tag
madnutz
New Contributor

Please verify the collection agency before paying any money, read my story about being scammed!

Hello everyone, wanted to share a bad experience I had while tryign to do the right thing....

About 2 months ago I was in the process of buying a home, I knew I had some debt out there that I hadn't paid and in fear of it magically popping up on my credit right before closing I set out to pay off any outstanding bills I owed which one of them was some money owed to a bank for a check I cashed that bounced and I was stuck with the bill.... That's another story on it's own but moving on! 

I had been receiving emails from a company called "Penderson Mediation Group" and they were claiming to collect a debt from  the bank i owed money too so I called them, they put me on hold MULTIPLE times for a long duration, and they asked me to verify all kinds of information like social/DOB/etc. etc....(1st sign) then they told me I owed 1k, I told them that was BS and the amount was only 700, so they put me on hold again for about 5 minutes and again and again.... they didn't seem to know **bleep** they were doing(2nd sign) After a while they said ok, we will take 700, I told them I only had about 200 bucks to give them at the moment but could pay the rest in 10 days, AGAIN I was put on hold and the person came back and asked if I could do 250, if I did 250 they will knock off 200 dollars from the total bill and will only collect 250 again in 10 days(3rd sign)  After I agreed they put me on another long hold then they said they needed to record my conversation and made me repeat several times that I would pay and not file dispute through my credit card.....

LONG Story short, after the call I felt like something was wrong... I called the bank I owed money to and they told me that penderson mediation group had no affiliation with them and they gave me a different company that owened the debt Smiley Sad Worst feeling in the world, luckily I was able to file a dispute with chase and they got me my money back hahahaha, suckers! Now I live in constant fear that my identity will be stolen.... 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
madnutz
New Contributor

Re: Please verify the collection agency before paying any money, read my story about being scammed!

also not sure if it's related but I still get calls from random companys claiming to be collecting a debt and trying to get payment, I don't owe anyone anything but it sucks to think they have my info and could potentially use it for fraud...

Message 2 of 3
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Please verify the collection agency before paying any money, read my story about being scammed!

My step-mother owed some companies money, and tons of other companies jumped in trying to scare her into paying, it was absurd. Always watch for bandwagon jumpers!

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.