Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing Question

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Plumbing Question

Hi everyone.  DH has been working out of town and elk hunting so I'm alone here - the washer doesn't get any cold water - the water to the washer seems to be coming directly from the hot water heater.  I hate washing it hot water because of the expense, the shrinking etc.

How come no cold water?  When you turn on the cold by the washer nothing comes out.  I haven't been able to find the "other end" to try to turn it on.  Could it be under the house in the crawl space?  How much more do you think it costs to wash in hot vs. cold?

This is so frustrating that I've refused to do any laundry in a week until DH can get this fixed.  I hate to call a plumber for something so easy as turning on the water but I don't even know  where to look or what to do.

Thanks.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Re: Plumbing Question

Can't answer the plumbing issue...but when I wash with hot the rinse is cold. I don't think too expensive but that depends how often you wash. I only wash once a week/three loads. (Small family...just me lol) Sometimes I will wash a load during the middle of the week. Hope you can get the problem solved.

Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Booner72 wrote:

Hi everyone.  DH has been working out of town and elk hunting so I'm alone here - the washer doesn't get any cold water - the water to the washer seems to be coming directly from the hot water heater.  I hate washing it hot water because of the expense, the shrinking etc.

How come no cold water?  When you turn on the cold by the washer nothing comes out.  I haven't been able to find the "other end" to try to turn it on.  Could it be under the house in the crawl space?  How much more do you think it costs to wash in hot vs. cold?

This is so frustrating that I've refused to do any laundry in a week until DH can get this fixed.  I hate to call a plumber for something so easy as turning on the water but I don't even know  where to look or what to do.

Thanks.

What did the home inspector say?

What is screwed into the cold water intake and the hot water intake on the washer? In other words, when you trace each line back, where does it go?

Is there a faucet handle on the cold water intake, and if so, is it open? My washer hook-ups have always had faucet handles where the hoses go into the washers. That lets you twiddle the temperature mix.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Hey, Booner72!

Let DH fix it once he gets home. 

If he can't fix it himself, let him admit to that (after many, many tries), and then let him call the plumber.

If you try to fix it, no matter how simple that fix may seem to be, if it doesn't get fixed...you are to blame. 

Unfortunately, that's how it works.

Let the unwashed clothes pile up.  When that stack gets too high, your washer problems will end. 

But in the meantime, think laundromats.  Smiley Happy

(Written by a married guy who was away from home for a while when things got Mod cut in the old homestead...) 

Message 4 of 7
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Hey, Booner72!

If he can't fix it himself, let him admit to that (after many, many tries), and then let him call the plumber.

If you try to fix it, no matter how simple that fix may seem to be, if it doesn't get fixed...you are to blame. 

Let the unwashed clothes pile up.  When that stack gets too high, your washer problems will end. 

(Written by a married guy who was away from home for a while when things got Mod cut in the old homestead...) 

I concur... Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Hey, Booner72!

(Written by a married guy who was away from home for a while when things got Mod cut in the old homestead...) 

tee hee.  This is exactly what happened!  He was wearing jeans with giant holes to work and his boss yelled at him. 

Somehow the hoses were crossed.  He/we got one load to wash cold, then didn't work at all.  Then I switched it on the washer itself to hot/hot and then the cold came.  Weird how it worked.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 7
demi
Established Contributor

Hummm, same thing happened to my mom...wonder if my father was the one who installed yours LOL!

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.