Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 11 of 19
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Question about "the old days".

Depends how old we're talkin' here.

In the "old days", most folks paid their bills, so there wasn't a need for instant approval or denial.  A merchant would simply tally his receipts and send them off to the credit card company every week, or even every month, and the credit card company would THEN pay the merchant.

Unfortunately, we the people grew more and more dishonest, and instant verification has now become the norm.

Ever try to write a check in a grocery store?  Sheesh.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 12 of 19
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Depends how old we're talkin' here.

In the "old days", most folks paid their bills, so there wasn't a need for instant approval or denial.  A merchant would simply tally his receipts and send them off to the credit card company every week, or even every month, and the credit card company would THEN pay the merchant.

Unfortunately, we the people grew more and more dishonest, and instant verification has now become the norm.

Ever try to write a check in a grocery store?  Sheesh.

I take it then, that you're not familiar with the 1958 launch of Visa/Bankamericard... Allegedly 22% of the accounts were delinquent.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 13 of 19
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

"They're not impressed when you try to use a card without embossed numbers"

I'm surprised they are still used, being that you can buy a new terminal for what, like $99?

Lots of cards are no longer embossed, especially discover.

You also have to factor in merchant services fees that a lot of small, and also cheap, businesses are trying to limit and/or avoid althogether with electronic methods. 

Message 14 of 19
Stralem
Established Contributor

Ugh. Those things.

I've only seen them in action once or twice, and it was one of those times where I saw it damn nead shred someone's card when the clerk used his retard strength to work it. I think he loaded it incorrectly or something. I think it was at a Montgomery Ward store sometime during their final few weeks of existence.

But earlier this year, I had a pizza delivery guy break out the carbon paper. That was pretty amusing.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 15 of 19
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I remember using credit cards in the 1980s - the major credit card companies sent "pick-up books" to merchants every month, which contained long lists of lost, stolen. and cancelled cards. 

If the merchant located a bad card, he was supposed to call the issuer, who would instruct the merchant to cut the card in half with a pair of scissors, in front of the customer, and mail it to the issuer.

The merchant would then be given a small reward (about $10), but if he did not comply, he could lose his ability to accept credit cards in the future.

These days, there is no need to physically destroy the card - as the card can now be instantly deactivated, and will simply not work. 

It is very unusual to see an old fashioned card imprinter still being used, but I expect that very soon, there will no more reason to physically emboss the card member's information on cards.  Discover and some of the newer metal card issuers have already discontinued the practice.

Message 16 of 19
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Every large retailer actually still has these! They have to be used whenever a card gets a referral message. Crazy!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 17 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

One of my old bosses at Kmart told me that in the early 90s...the card issues would actually give you a $50 reward if you caught someone using a stolen card. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 18 of 19
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

"we had to carbon copy it and call in every purchase, "

I bet that slowed the line down, eh?

Actually the more I think about it I think it was just larger purchases we had to call in. Most people paid cash or check. Also remember there was a reward on offer for catching those cards.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.