cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for anyone with larger breed dog...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for anyone with larger breed dog...

Ok I have a Lab/English Pointer puppy who we think has allergies to her dog food. We are going to have to switch to a food without corn fillers in it. I am trying to figure out how much we will go through in a month when she is older to determine how I need to set up my budget. Do you think a 30 lb bag will make it a month? The last dog I had was a Mini Aussie and he did not eat much at all. Vet is saying to figure her to be at least 55-60 lbs based on her size now.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for anyone with larger breed dog...

We have an adult lab mix who is right in that weight range. The food we buy comes in a 37.5 pound bag and lasts about 6 weeks, give or take a few days. They do tend to eat a little more in the winter, and their appetite can also depend on how much activity they get. But it doesn't vary wildly. It sounds like you're right on target. I hope the food change takes care of what ever issues she is having. Congratulations on the new puppy!
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Corn is a very common allergen in dog and cat foods. It's also one of the most commonly used ingredients because it's a cheap ingredient.  There are a lot of higher end dog foods available today that have much better ingredients and will likely put an end to your dogs allergy issues. Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that your dog will likely not need to eat as much of a higher quality food because it will be betting more of what he/she needs from a higher quality diet. So even if the food costs more, in the end it likely turns out to be a wash because they tend to eat less of it. You may also want to feed a wee bit less than the recommended feeding guide on the bag because most manufacturers post their guidelines a wee bit on the high side (if your dog eats more, they make more money).  Labs are also notorious for weight problems, so it will do your dog good to keep him/her on the lean side (not to be mistaken with keeping him gauntly thin, but lean is much better than slightly overweight). Dogs that are overweight are much higher risk to for diabetes and a host of other health problems. So, generally, keeping them lean will keep them healthier as well.

As the other poster said, it's hard to determine exactly how long the bag will last you, but with my Rottie mix the 30-40lb bags do last us over a month. She tends to be a wee bit lazy for the most part (unless we have company, then of course she has to act like a nut-job) and I feed well below the recommended guidelines on the bag and she still teeters back and forth between healthy lean and putting on a little pudge at times. So, just try to see what works for your dog and go from there. They all have different needs and metabolisms.

Oh, be sure to do the food change gradually over a 2 week period to avoid stomach upset.

Congrats on your puppy! 
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S.
Here is a great website dedicated to teaching about dog food in general. There is a lot of in depth information about certain ingredients and how to read a dog food label. Since the pet food industry is not regulated very well, you'd be astounded by what goes into your pets food and what certain phrases actually mean when determining what's actually in (or lacking) your pets food.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to you both so much!!!!!! I am looking at her food bag and I see it has a lot of corn in it. The poor dog has been itching like crazy (no parasites), having ear issues, pooping like crazy etc. When the vet said she thought she had allergies I was shocked not even thinking of that. Anyways she is underweight and I will be happy to get some weight on her. I have been looking at Blue Buffalo and Wellness on the internet. Do either of you know about those brands? We have a petsmart here that carries them and I was hoping to find something that was easy to get.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of those are good foods. I personally would probably lean towards Blue Buffalo. Wellness was a really great food for a long time and prided itself on being a smaller independent company that was focused on providing an all life stages food product. They have since "sold out" so to speak and went big time with their marketing - packaging their products for inside cats, outside cats, overweigh cats, senior cats, senior dogs, overweight dogs, etc. - most of this is strictly marketing hype and a clear indication that they are going after the $ and not so much the original intent they had behind their products which was a high quality good pet food for "all life stages". In their defense, a good majority of pet food manufacturers offer these products suppsoedly tailored to overweight pets, senior pets, etc. so it's not that specifically that has me down on them. It's the fact that they made such a big to do about creating a product that is healthy for all life stages and plugged themselves for that, and being selective about where their products are carried and they made promises to the small town pet stores that they would never sell out and take their products to the big boys like Petco and PetSmart. Then shortly after they started changing all their packaging to reflect on these new "formulas" they went big time with the big box stores. It was all a big marketing ploy from the start, if you ask me.

Wellness is also the same company that produces the "Old Mother Hubbard" line of pet foods and snacks, I haven't looked up this line recently, but it used to be mediocre petfoods with by-product ingrediets. Being that Wellness is supposed to produce a great product such as Wellness with pets health a a top priority, I never understood why they also produced a significantly lessor quality product. 

Before all the pet food recalls, I would shy away from basically anything sold in PetSmart, Petco and grocerty stores, as they were really all garbage quality. Finally though, they are starting to bring in better quality foods. I honestly think Wellness thought of this as their prime opportunity to take advantage of the growing market for higher quality pet foods. The problem is I have noticed their packaging, ingredients and products seem to be taking a backseat and I think ultimately their end product is suffering. I don't think they are producing the product they used to.

Blue Buffalo has seemingly stayed commited to the health of pets and providing the best products they can. They have a Wilderness version and an organic version of their foods now as well. They are available in PetSmart, but it seems that they really emerged there to begin with. If you shop at Petco Natural Balance is another pretty good one. Though, I think if I had to pick between the two, I'd go for Blue Buff over the NB anyday. I want to say that I remember one of the Natural Balance products having been recalled for rice gluten when it wasn't even supposed to be in the product int he first place...but I'm not certain on that one.

Oh and Blue Buff also has a foundation that they created to help provide funding to veterinary universities and organizations that are trying to research treatments and ultimately a cure for cancer, which is the number 1 disease related cause for the death of our pets. Having a rottie that I lost several year ago to an aggressive cancer, that means a lot to me. I lke to support businesses that give back.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-01-2008 04:39 PM
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that Blue Buffalo is what we are going to try. There is a lot of good reviews about it on the internet. Thanks for the info! I sure hope this cures her problem. The funny thing is the food that we had her on is a vet recommended one (you can probably guess what brand) and I have found out it is not that great of food. Of course if the dog didn't have allergies I would not of known the difference.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another good one that is little less hard on the wallet is Canidae. Not available at Petco or PetSmart, but they have a lot of retailers all over the country. Even some feed stores sell it if you are in a more rural area. www.canidae.com (website has a store locator). 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The more research you do, you'll see that vet's actually get very little training on pet nutrition in veterinary school. A lot of the materials (text books, etc.) are provided by Hills, which is a the company that produces Science Diet and Hills prescription foods. Hills and Royal Canin (Waltham) foods are commonly "prescribed" from vets and are ironically some of the poorest quality foods available. Don't get me started on that. I can't tell you the wars I've had with vets over our conflict of opinions (and facts!) about foods.  I have an aquintance who is a feline veterinarian, she herself has done years and years of research on pet nutrition and has really become an expert in pet nutrition (has books out, etc.). She's one of the first people that told me that vets get hardly any training on nutrition. It's really quite sad.

Anyway, good luck with your doggie. Be sure to give it a month or two before deciding if it's helping. It takes a while. Also, be sure not to give any treats during food trials. I know it's hard to resist, but even just a few treats can cause allergies to flare up, if that is indeed what you are dealing with. Treats are notorioius for having garbage and/or corn fillers so be sure you check ingredients on everything that goes into pups mouth! 

wildcat wrote:
I think that Blue Buffalo is what we are going to try. There is a lot of good reviews about it on the internet. Thanks for the info! I sure hope this cures her problem. The funny thing is the food that we had her on is a vet recommended one (you can probably guess what brand) and I have found out it is not that great of food. Of course if the dog didn't have allergies I would not of known the difference.

Message 9 of 20
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Honestly it's a good idea to get pet food that doesn't include corn for all your dogs or cats. While I'm not a pet food snob, corn is practically nutritionless; and why you'd feed starchy grains to carnivores in the first place is beyond me. Regardless of price if corn is the #1 ingredient in a brand of pet food, avoid it.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.