Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiting smoking?!?!?

tag
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Quiting smoking?!?!?

Has anyone here kicked the habit, and if so how did you do it? I have been a smoker now for about 10 years. Only in the last 2 or 3 years have I started smoking more than a pack a day. I have tried to quit in the past and can't seem to make it more than a day or two. Anyone have any particular method that worked for them?

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Quiting smoking?!?!?

I kicked it cold turkey like my dad. He had smoked since he was 17 (born in 44) and in 1980 when my younger sister was born, my mom asked him to stop and he quit cold turkey from a 2 pack a day habit. I didn't start smoking until I was in the USMC and did it for nearly 13 years about two or so packs a week, sometimes more and sometimes less but either way the charm just wore off and I kicked it when I ran out.

Some recommendations that have worked for others I know, drink lots of juice during the quiting period, it helps flush it out of your system faster, eating apples will make the taste bitter and non-pleasant and has detering effect, avoid too much caffeine as it triggers the urge, use the patch or gum, if you must as it helps you wheen off of it and most of all have a support system of people who care about you continually riding your ass, I have noticed it helps someone of the people I know. Either way best of luck to you and it will do you alot of good. Plus I have young kids and I felt like a hypocrite telling them not to do it when I was doing it myself.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 55
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I never really smoked, but in my current position I find myself often encouraging people to stop smoking.  I can't say there is any particular method that works for them, and my suggestions are usually tailored to what I know about the individual.

There is one thing that I always do, that people seem to like.  I whip out my calculator, and ask, "How much is a pack of cigarettes?  $4?  Let's see...$4 x 365.  That's $1460 a year.  What would you like to do with $1460?"   Never fails to get at least a smile and an acknowledgement of the financial burden of smoking.

Message 3 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Lel wrote:

I never really smoked, but in my current position I find myself often encouraging people to stop smoking.  I can't say there is any particular method that works for them, and my suggestions are usually tailored to what I know about the individual.

There is one thing that I always do, that people seem to like.  I whip out my calculator, and ask, "How much is a pack of cigarettes?  $4?  Let's see...$4 x 365.  That's $1460 a year.  What would you like to do with $1460?"   Never fails to get at least a smile and an acknowledgement of the financial burden of smoking.

Now imagine how much of a smile you would get if you used the real price of $5.75 for a pack of Marlboros to do the same calculation. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 55
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Guardian for the recomendations, a couple of those I've never considered. I am setting a target date to stop, April 1st. I am taking a vacation from work and it is also my spring break from school. It's really stressful doing both and I find myself craving a cigarette.

I also am very aware of the financial burden of smoking. Unfortunatly, I live on an Indian Reservation and can get smokes for about $1.50 a pack, so it's easy to scrounge up some change and break down and buy a pack. I really need to do this though for my girls sake. Thanks for the support.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 5 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@dizbuster wrote:

Thanks Guardian for the recomendations, a couple of those I've never considered. I am setting a target date to stop, April 1st. I am taking a vacation from work and it is also my spring break from school. It's really stressful doing both and I find myself craving a cigarette.

I also am very aware of the financial burden of smoking. Unfortunatly, I live on an Indian Reservation and can get smokes for about $1.50 a pack, so it's easy to scrounge up some change and break down and buy a pack. I really need to do this though for my girls sake. Thanks for the support.

I know, for me it was very stress triggered and that's why it took so long before I quit. But then I realized, hell I am always going to have stress and its killing me already, why give it an extra hand, you know? Yeah I know you can get 1.50 smokes, my neighbor smokes Carnivals and they taste like ass, no offense, or even basic. I was never for cheap nasty smokes. I always smokes American Spirits or Marlboro as the least. But on a reservation, you can probably get good stuff for 1.50, I used to go down to Arizona every year to visit a friend and we used to go visit his grandpa on the reservation and he used to always roll us some tasty ones, went great with the ehem...you know...You should do it for your girls and foremost for yourself to be there and see them thrive. You are welcome and you have my support anytime. You ever feel like venting to someone or need someone to talk you out of it, let me know. We can keep each other honest.

Message 6 of 55
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Diz, I'm trying to quit right now myself.  Used to be three packs a day, Camel non-filter.

This is something that seems to help me control the urge.  I carry my smokes with me, take one out of the pack whenever I feel like it, keep it between my fingers, put it in my mouth and puff on it, etc....except I just never actually light it up!

The unlit cigarette is like my security blanket.  All the rituals of smoking are still there, but not the smoke.  Once the physical addiction finally wanes, I figure it'll be easy to dump the rituals, too.

Seems to have cut me down (under 1 pack at the moment).  Hope I can go all the way with this, and hope you can, too!  Best of luck to you. 

Message 7 of 55
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Quitting smoking?!?!?

A big thing is to definitely consider using the patch or gum. People are all too often of the mindset "Cold turkey or NOTHING!", which of course usually ends up being nothing. Cigarette addiction is more than just nicotine, so if you use the gum or patch you can deal with the rest of the addiction, and then move on to cutting off nicotine; instead of going crazy dealing with it all at once.
Message 8 of 55
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I started smoking at 15 and quit when I was 21, and it was cold turkey. After a couple of weeks it wasn't too difficult. I would suggest finding something to do with your hands, for a lot of people that seems to trigger wanting a cigarette... but exercising is what really pulled me through. I had to work in baby steps, though. When I first quit I would run half a block and be short of breath. The longer I didn't smoke, the easier it was for me to breathe while exercising, which was motivation enough for me.

Plus, people tend to eat more when they quit smoking, so exercising will hep offset that as well. 

Message 9 of 55
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Quitting smoking?!?!?

What is with the "cold turkey or nothing" mentality? I hear that all the time. The attitude almost goes as far as claiming quitting any other way than cold turkey is failure. Maybe people just don't want to break the "I can quit anytime I want" illusion...
Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.