Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiting smoking?!?!?

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Quitting smoking?!?!?

@KingAdrock wrote:
A big thing is to definitely consider using the patch or gum. People are all too often of the mindset "Cold turkey or NOTHING!", which of course usually ends up being nothing. Cigarette addiction is more than just nicotine, so if you use the gum or patch you can deal with the rest of the addiction, and then move on to cutting off nicotine; instead of going crazy dealing with it all at once.

I've no experience or expertise in the area of smoking cessation, but here are links to information about the subject from sources that I have found to be very reliable in medical areas where I do have expertise so they should be reliable in this area:

Article

Article

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 21 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

P.S. to Guardian --- When you're passionate about a subject, you'll sometimes get admonished...we're in the same "club" on these boards! :smileywink:

---------------------------------------------------

P.P.S. to Guardian --- You pretty much said the same thing ( about the failure mindset) in your post just above this, sorry, I didn't mean to replicate what is essentially the same answer. 

Thank you for the shout out and glad you understand me. I always hate the fact that when misunderstood I can hardly do anything to set it right but ultimately anyone who gets to know me knows I try to act honorably no matter what, even if don't look or sound like it sometimes. Thanks though, I am glad I am not a completely lost cause Smiley Very Happy

And no worries on repeating anything, if its a good point, it never hurts to hear it again Smiley Wink

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 22 of 55
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quiting smoking?!?!?

WoW, thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I truly mean it. I am going to do my best in the next couple of days to really quite the habit. I have gotten to the point where I just can't stand to smell like an ashtray. My clothes smell, my car smells and even my wife gets the smell on her. She can't stand it. So, aside from the health consequences, my wife is pretty feed up with the smoking thing. She won't even kiss me anymore. Smiley Happy My wife works in a pharmacy and can get the nicotine gum really cheap. I am going to use that and lots and lots of sunflower seeds. Smiley Happy  Thanks again everyone for the support, and if I come off a little crazy sounding in future posts, don't worry I'm just jonesing. Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 23 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@dizbuster wrote:
WoW, thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I truly mean it. I am going to do my best in the next couple of days to really quite the habit. I have gotten to the point where I just can't stand to smell like an ashtray. My clothes smell, my car smells and even my wife gets the smell on her. She can't stand it. So, aside from the health consequences, my wife is pretty feed up with the smoking thing. She won't even kiss me anymore. Smiley Happy My wife works in a pharmacy and can get the nicotine gum really cheap. I am going to use that and lots and lots of sunflower seeds. Smiley Happy  Thanks again everyone for the support, and if I come off a little crazy sounding in future posts, don't worry I'm just jonesing. Smiley Happy

Good for you, and wish you all the best and know that you can do it. Its purely mind over matter and you just need to find what works for you and attack it. Use the gum, use the seeds Smiley Wink and if your job allows for walking around with a lolipop or a dum dum or sucker in your mouth (my friend did that working at the docks) then it will help with oral fixation part. When you start jonesing like I did sometimes before it wore off, get up and go grab a glass of water or juice or something and down it in one solid shot, you will be surprised how quickly it will kill that craving and if you have the gum and choose to go with that, wait a couple minutes and if you feel like you need it then take the gum and it will wear off. It will ultimately become a conditioning and it will get replaced as a habit. All we can hope for is not replacing it with another bad habit Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Guardian on 03-30-2009 11:13 AM

Message 24 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed that smoking is addictive in almost everyone who does it for a while, but the LEVELS of addiction vary widely.

I'm one of those hard-core 3-pack a day smokers, and have been for many years - my emphysema attests to that.

This kid is extremely intelligent.  Also a hard-core realist.  Yet NOTHING I've tried has helped.  Leaving them in another room, so I have to get up and go fetch them to have one.  Marking each cig with a line, below which I will STOP, snub it out and maybe finish it later - like making one cig stand in for two.  Cold turkey I've done twice, with people who were literally my "wardens."  They had possession of my keys, money, etc., and I would only be allowed to use them for "righteous" purposes.  This way, I've been off more than a month.  But the first time I smelled someone's cigarette, I was instantly hooked again, then went out and bought a pack.  You can't buy just one cig, and you can guess where it went from there.  Like an alcoholic, just one gets you right back to square one.

This habit OWNS me.  I don't even know who I AM if I can't smoke.  Nor do I know what to do with my hands, and I've got a very active mind that means I have to be doing something all the time.

I'm scared to death, because I can FEEL it killing me now.  Yet I can't quit.  And it isn't for lack of desperately trying, either. 

So how do the hard-core cases like me manage to quit?  If any. 

Message 25 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've noticed that smoking is addictive in almost everyone who does it for a while, but the LEVELS of addiction vary widely.

I'm one of those hard-core 3-pack a day smokers, and have been for many years - my emphysema attests to that.

This kid is extremely intelligent.  Also a hard-core realist.  Yet NOTHING I've tried has helped.  Leaving them in another room, so I have to get up and go fetch them to have one.  Marking each cig with a line, below which I will STOP, snub it out and maybe finish it later - like making one cig stand in for two.  Cold turkey I've done twice, with people who were literally my "wardens."  They had possession of my keys, money, etc., and I would only be allowed to use them for "righteous" purposes.  This way, I've been off more than a month.  But the first time I smelled someone's cigarette, I was instantly hooked again, then went out and bought a pack.  You can't buy just one cig, and you can guess where it went from there.  Like an alcoholic, just one gets you right back to square one.

This habit OWNS me.  I don't even know who I AM if I can't smoke.  Nor do I know what to do with my hands, and I've got a very active mind that means I have to be doing something all the time.

I'm scared to death, because I can FEEL it killing me now.  Yet I can't quit.  And it isn't for lack of desperately trying, either. 

I hear you and believe me I felt like that the first 3 times I "tried" to quit and went back on it and I know people who have been through the same thing. Its not entirely your fault and science is trying to catch up on this and there seems to be a link to genetic factors that hooks some more than others. There are more radical chemically based treatments intended for cases like yours. It is NOT hopeless, I promise you that, just talk to your doctor and tell them to refer you to a trial in your area or a clinic that specializes in it. It is similar to the treatment for heroin for example, using substitute synthetics until the body adjusts, or alcoholism by inducing the bitterness and throw up to condition and so on, this is intended to actually compete and BLOCK the recepters that give you that pleasure allowing for your body to have a chance at getting that addiction dissociated. Talk to your doctor and I assure you there IS a way, just be persistent and don't give up on yourself.

Message 26 of 55
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are not alone, a close relative recently died of emphysema because she could not quit smoking.  As you say it can be extremely addictive.  I have no qualifications to advise you so all I can say is keep trying, maybe talk to people you know who have been able to kick the habit.  You do have my best wishes!

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 27 of 55
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

-------------------------------------------------------

Guardian wrote: "Thanks though, I am glad I am not a completely lost cause"

"I've always had a weakness for lost causes, once they're really lost." - Rhett Butler

OK, so I'm targeting 9 PM tonight as my smoking quit time.  Armed myself with some 4mg nicotine gum and also 4mg nicotine lozenges, which I bought yesterday.

Last premium cigarette smoked was yesterday morning, I have some cheap, nasty-tasting smokes to get me through today.  Gonna try cold-turkey again, but have the gum and lozenges for back-up, which I will use if necessary, as well as other methods suggested here (drinking juice, etc.)

I'll let you guys know how I do. 

Anyone want to join me??  We can make it a contest...

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 03-31-2009 08:47 AM
Message 28 of 55
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Guardian wrote: "Thanks though, I am glad I am not a completely lost cause"

"I've always had a weakness for lost causes, once they're really lost." - Rhett Butler

Ah, you say the sweetest things Smiley Very Happy

Well I already kicked the habit *crossing fingers its permanent this time* but I will ride it out with you. At the very least I can provide moral support.

Message Edited by Guardian on 03-31-2009 11:55 AM

Message 29 of 55
ponderous
New Contributor

I quit 2 times that did not last.  I smoked for 26 years.  I was at 2/12 to 3 packs a day.  There is no magic thing I can tell you.  The bottom line is....you will quit when you want that worse then smoking.  It is hard. It hurts like hell.  Ya just gotta go through the pain and get to the other side.  And then you have embrace being a non-smoker and every day it will get a bit better.  Eventually the smell will not be enough to entice you back but it is a fight that you have to fight for a long time. 
Elizabeth
3/23/09 - Eagle Home Morgage pulled a 742 on me?!!! WooHoo!!!!

3/16/09
TU 708
EQ 692
Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.