Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: State issued ID

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Lawest02 wrote:
I recent walked into an establishment that dander I surrender my driver's license while there. I was alarmed at their lack of security control with the other ID's collected, as they were simply placed in a Tupperware container and kept behind the counter. Now, I understand and respect that they want to know who is on premise, and, the establishment, a fitness center is an upstanding place, but, I don't trust anyone with my ID. Os it not unlawful to demand someone surrender their ID, regardless of purpose or length of time?

Did they say WHY they insisted on keeping the IDs? If wanting to know who's on the premises is the point, it seems as if a simple log sheet would do. I agree keeping IDs (at all, let alone keeping them so sloppily) is overkill. Whether it's illegal is probably a matter of state law. I don't understand why people would even be willing to hand over their IDs like that.

I agree that this isn't the best forum for your question, but since ID issues arise a lot in credit forums, it doesn't seem out of line here, either. It just might belong in Smorgasboard instead of General Credit Topics.

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lawest02
New Visitor

State issued ID

I recent walked into an establishment that dander I surrender my driver's license while there. I was alarmed at their lack of security control with the other ID's collected, as they were simply placed in a Tupperware container and kept behind the counter. Now, I understand and respect that they want to know who is on premise, and, the establishment, a fitness center is an upstanding place, but, I don't trust anyone with my ID. Os it not unlawful to demand someone surrender their ID, regardless of purpose or length of time?
Message 1 of 6
blondy250
Established Contributor

I think your on the wrong website/forum.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 3 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

It's lawful, as it was a private establishment, just as you could demand everyone surrender their DL when they enter your home.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 6
Officer737
Established Contributor

Honestly it would depend. Legally no one can take your identification away from you except the issuing agency or their designee. An example of this would be in Tennessee the state issues your ID or DL. They only people that can take it away from you is the DMV, the Courts or a State Trooper. Another law enforcement officer can only take it away if it has been suspended or revoked and then they forward it to the DMV. Anyone asking for your ID/DL to verify who you are can only ask to SEE it, nothing says you have to give it to them even for a second. But they also don't have to let you into their establishment either if you refuse to surrender your ID/DL.

Look on your ID/DL and see if their is a warning that the issueing agency retains full rights of ownership to the ID/DL and not the person carrying it. If it's not on the ID/DL then it is on the receipt when you signed to accept it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.