Established Contributor
newUser0

Re: Reactions when presenting CSP

Peteyglad wrote:

I had the CSP for 14 months and only got a handful of comments. Now I have the Ritz card and that almost always gets a reaction.

+1 This.

I feel Ritz Always gets attention. One day one college girl, working in CVS was staring my card for a few seconds before she gave it back.

Frequent Contributor
Bman70

I'm just waiting for someone to offer a card with an opener like this. Then I could buy a soda and open it right there in front of the stunned cashiers
Sallie Mae World MasterCard $12,500 || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $10,000 || Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (2) $5900 and $4500 || US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature $5000 || BofA Cash Rewards Visa $3500
Last FICOs July 2014 EQ 802, TU 768, EX 772 (Amex pull)
Senior Contributor
longtimelurker

heyarrnold wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

I went into CVS the other day, and the cashier had never seen a metal credit card. She was in complete shock haha. It was funny to see her reaction. She even asked the other cashiers near by, "have you ever seen anything like this before? I am still in shock!" LOL :smileytongue:

That is strange, I swipe my own credit card at CVS. Doesn't matter if its the self service checkouts or not, there is still a place to swipe your own card.

And I can't tell much difference between a metal or a plastic card. Weight is barely noticeable. Magnets *barely* stick to it at all.

Purchases over 1k require them to swipe your ID and CC lol.

Not everywhere.  Yes, they need to scan your ID and look at the CC, but the CVS I go to almost never scan the CC itself unless something goes wrong.

But I don't get the amazement about the CSP.   After reading about it here, I expected it to be significantly different, obviously metal etc.  When I finally got mine, I was surprised at how normal it is.  Yes a little heavier, but hardly really different.  \

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi TY Preferred, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 841 (Jul)
Frequent Contributor
heyarrnold

longtimelurker wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

I went into CVS the other day, and the cashier had never seen a metal credit card. She was in complete shock haha. It was funny to see her reaction. She even asked the other cashiers near by, "have you ever seen anything like this before? I am still in shock!" LOL :smileytongue:

That is strange, I swipe my own credit card at CVS. Doesn't matter if its the self service checkouts or not, there is still a place to swipe your own card.

And I can't tell much difference between a metal or a plastic card. Weight is barely noticeable. Magnets *barely* stick to it at all.

Not everywhere.  Yes, they need to scan your ID and look at the CC, but the CVS I go to almost never scan the CC itself unless something goes wrong.

But I don't get the amazement about the CSP.   After reading about it here, I expected it to be significantly different, obviously metal etc.  When I finally got mine, I was surprised at how normal it is.  Yes a little heavier, but hardly really different.  \

Well, in this situation she scanned it herself. I just handed her my CC and ID. 

And yes, after a while it's just another CC. However, not everyone has seen a metal CC. So reactions will occur from time to time. 

--21 year old UCSB grad. It all started three years ago ")

Amex BCECiti PrestigeArrival PlusCSPInk Plus
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan

If you don't have a CSP, try this: get 3 plastic credit cards. Stack two of them and hold them between your thumb and index finger. now hold the 3rd card in your other hand between thumb and index finger. One hand is holding twice the weight of the other. Now, how much do you notice the extra weight?

Go ahead, swap the weight. Now hold just one weight, now just the other weight.

You really don't notice, because in one hand you have 1/5 of an ounce, and the other has 2/5ths. The CSP weights about 2/5ths of an ounce.

There is such a small amount of material in a thin credit card, that differences in the materials mass doesn't make a huge difference.

Regular Contributor
barbaralee

[ Edited ]

I can count on one hand how often I have been complimented on a card. I must be carrying some duds. And anytime I try to present a card to the cashier to run they usually look at me like I'm the laziest human being on the planet and respond with: "You can go ahead and swipe your card on the machine in front of you..."

Sigh, such is life. 

Valued Contributor
B335is

I don't particularly like getting any reaction from my cards - it's a petty thing to draw attention to in my opinion.  I used CSP to buy a Gatorade at a Marathon gas station once and the cashier commented "is it difficult carrying such a heavy card?"  I haven't used it since.

Established Contributor
DigitalArk

j_casteel wrote:
IME, no one cares when I pay with my CSP. It's not that big of a deal, really. Most people that take your card to swipe it for you probably swipe a hundred cards a day and after a while a card is a card is a card is a card. 

+1 no one cares... :smileyindifferent:

Valued Contributor
juggalo9er

heyarrnold wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

And yes, after a while it's just another CC. However, not everyone has seen a metal CC. So reactions will occur from time to time. 

And my reaction when i see someone allowing their id to be scanned it utter shock! yes you are using this glorious  card but lack the smarts to realize that just about every bit of your personal information is on that drivers license they just scanned....need i mention target?

the beatings will continue until moral improves Wal-Mart 300 lowes 500 cap 1 2000 Barclay rewards 800 upromise 800
Indiana Members Platinum Visa $10,000 forum credit union mastercard 12,000, forum 7.24% 2,500
lender pull Equifax 674 Transunion 674 Isaac 698
24 months post chapter 7 discharge starting mid score was a 557
as of 12/25 Equifax 698 tu 696 Isaac 712!
Frequent Contributor
heyarrnold

juggalo9er wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

heyarrnold wrote:

And my reaction when i see someone allowing their id to be scanned it utter shock! yes you are using this glorious  card but lack the smarts to realize that just about every bit of your personal information is on that drivers license they just scanned....need i mention target?

Every bank, the Government, the DMV, your landloard, and Acxiom Corp, to name a few, have all of that information and more. They scan ID's to prevent fraud. If you do not agree with such practices, that is fine. But please do not insult others in the process. 

--21 year old UCSB grad. It all started three years ago ")

Amex BCECiti PrestigeArrival PlusCSPInk Plus

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+