Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for PC tower?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Recommendations for PC tower?

Need some help from the forum!

I'm supposed to come up with recommendations for a desktop tower for an older gentleman who is a friend of my boss's.  Only thing is, I haven't used a desktop computer (regularly) in a long time!  I have no clue what are "good" or even "decent" specs for one anymore!

Now, the gentleman is going to be using it for fairly basic things, like email & web surfing.  He's not a big technology guy, or else I imagine he would be looking for his own computer!  LOL.

I didn't get a clear answer on how much storage space he might need, in case he has a lot of family photos or something that he keeps digitally.  So far as I know, he could not care less what brand it is.  The computer he has now still has Windows 97 or something crazy like that on it, so you can see he's pretty out-of-date.

Any suggestions are welcome!  I could really use a starting point.  Thank you all!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendations for PC tower?

Well, since there never was a "Windows 97", you might both be in trouble.

When I started with computers, we used punch cards for input although terminals with a keyboard in front of the printer were starting to come out so that you could actually see the characters that you typed. I guess that makes me "an older gentleman" even though my father still uses a computer and is a moderator on a hobby forum.

Part of my business manages hundreds of PCs, a couple dozen Macs, and numerous servers running Microsoft, Unix, Linux, and VMWare operating systems.

Trying to come up with a computer for an older person is a challenge. One of the big things that throws them is a dramatic change in the interface.

Start with finding out what he has now.

Windows 8 was just introduced and a lot of stores are saying that is what is on all Windows based PCs. That would be a disaster in a business but it might be OK for him. It was designed for touch screens like a smartphone, tablet, or touchscreen integrated desktop unit. An integrated one piece unit with a touchscreen is probably perfect for most people like you are describing. My first choice for someone like him would be an iMac. It all depends on who is going to help him set it up and answer his questions.

Message 2 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

Well, since there never was a "Windows 97", you might both be in trouble.

When I started with computers, we used punch cards for input although terminals with a keyboard in front of the printer were starting to come out so that you could actually see the characters that you typed. I guess that makes me "an older gentleman" even though my father still uses a computer and is a moderator on a hobby forum.

Part of my business manages hundreds of PCs, a couple dozen Macs, and numerous servers running Microsoft, Unix, Linux, and VMWare operating systems.

Trying to come up with a computer for an older person is a challenge. One of the big things that throws them is a dramatic change in the interface.

Start with finding out what he has now.

Windows 8 was just introduced and a lot of stores are saying that is what is on all Windows based PCs. That would be a disaster in a business but it might be OK for him. It was designed for touch screens like a smartphone, tablet, or touchscreen integrated desktop unit. An integrated one piece unit with a touchscreen is probably perfect for most people like you are describing. My first choice for someone like him would be an iMac. It all depends on who is going to help him set it up and answer his questions.

Thanks for your response!  Smiley Happy

Wow, I guess I know less about Windows versions than I thought!  Smiley Sad  Maybe he has 95 or 98.  And I have never heard of touchscreen integrated desktop units.....Boy, I need to pick up a copy of PC World or something.  I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did.

I guess I will have to ask my boss to get more info about the computer.  It will have to be a Windows-based PC, because it will probably be me that has to install it in his home and help him get set up, and I haven't used a Mac since I was.....well, in a really long time.  I don't know anything about Windows 8 yet, but our IT guy was here the other day, and he said he wouldn't recommend upgrading the office computers to Windows 8 just yet.

Message 3 of 14
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

For a desktop i would recommend the following,

Brand : Either Dell, Sony, maybe lenovo \ absolutely stay away from HP\Compaq.

Processor : Any Intel I series is good, for a normal user i3 or i5 is fine.

Amount of Ram : depending if your going to run 32bit or 64 bit

- 32bit i would do 4Gb

- 64bit go for 6Gb or higher

Hard Drive space : doesn't really matter most computers will come with something like 500gb but you can always add more hard drives (usually have atleast 2 extra sata ports)

Ideal Setup for me : sony vaio with any intel mother board Intel i7 windows 7 64 bit with 10gb RAM 1 250Gb hard drive for applications and 1 1Tb hard drive for Data and pictures/music/videos.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 4 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@tylaw13 wrote:

- 32bit i would do 4Gb

Hard Drive space : doesn't really matter most computers will come with something like 500gb but you can always add more hard drives (usually have atleast 2 extra sata ports)

Ideal Setup for me : sony vaio with any intel mother board Intel i7 windows 7 64 bit with 10gb RAM 1 250Gb hard drive for applications and 1 1Tb hard drive for Data and pictures/music/videos.

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Is the "no HP/Compaq" warning a personal bias or a specific equipment flaw?

I have no idea about 32/64 bit.

I don't think he'll need more hard drive space, so that's probably fine.

Your ideal setup sounds like overkill for what this gentleman probably needs, but it sounds nice!  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 14
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@tylaw13 wrote:

- 32bit i would do 4Gb

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Is the "no HP/Compaq" warning a personal bias or a specific equipment flaw?

I have no idea about 32/64 bit.

I don't think he'll need more hard drive space, so that's probably fine.

Your ideal setup sounds like overkill for what this gentleman probably needs, but it sounds nice!  Thanks again.

No HP/Compaq because ive had and heard nothing but bad things. Very cheap and no pride for there product. 32/64bit is the operating system. 32bit is less of a resource hog and 64bit is just more for application based machines. My ideal setup IS overkill. i have that setup and dont use half of the resources and im an IT technician lol. 

Honestly go with Dell. Sony is more expensive and its really just for the name. Dell is a great brand too with great support. They have great prices on qaulity machines.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 6 of 14
GregB
Valued Contributor

That is completely irresponsible nonsense about HP/Compaq for what "you heard". I went out of my way in my post to not name brands other than suggesting an iMac might make sense for his use but after hearing that unsubstantiated nonsense about what you heard about HP, I must respond. If there is one company that stands out for computer support on PCs and Servers, it is HP. When I have to build a bulletproof system, it generally ends up 98% HP.

At one point we were selling and supporting enough computers that I was spending close to a million dollars a year on computers. Now we are down to buying around 5 computers a week and it is hard to get a customer to upgrade their servers at all. In fact one company has been bought twice with each new buyer deciding that all the computer equipment became "new" when they purchased the company and don't want to replace "new" equipment. They operate 24x7 relying on a HP LS2 Server that I installed in 1996 as their PDC.

Message 7 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@tylaw13 wrote:

No HP/Compaq because ive had and heard nothing but bad things. Very cheap and no pride for there product. 32/64bit is the operating system. 32bit is less of a resource hog and 64bit is just more for application based machines. My ideal setup IS overkill. i have that setup and dont use half of the resources and im an IT technician lol. 

Honestly go with Dell. Sony is more expensive and its really just for the name. Dell is a great brand too with great support. They have great prices on qaulity machines.

Really???  I love my HP laptop.......always got great customer service.  I have the opposite view with Dell; I despise Dell.  The Dell laptop we have is crap & didn't last long.  Our office uses Dell because they're cheap enough to replace often.  My boss is pretty hard on his computers.  I agree with you about Sony, though.  I'd never get one.

Anyway, would 32-bit be fine for everyday usage?  This guy isn't going to be streaming movies or Skyping with anyone.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

That is completely irresponsible nonsense about HP/Compaq for what "you heard". I went out of my way in my post to not name brands other than suggesting an iMac might make sense for his use but after hearing that unsubstantiated nonsense about what you heard about HP, I must respond. If there is one company that stands out for computer support on PCs and Servers, it is HP. When I have to build a bulletproof system, it generally ends up 98% HP.

At one point we were selling and supporting enough computers that I was spending close to a million dollars a year on computers. Now we are down to buying around 5 computers a week and it is hard to get a customer to upgrade their servers at all. In fact one company has been bought twice with each new buyer deciding that all the computer equipment became "new" when they purchased the company and don't want to replace "new" equipment. They operate 24x7 relying on a HP LS2 Server that I installed in 1996 as their PDC.

Thanks for the detailed post!  I'm glad to hear it Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

HP does make some pretty good machines. It all depends on what you're looking for though. 

I happen to be a dell junkie just because they have good warranties tbh. 

I would just look through the different manufacturers websites, if it is for an older gentleman he probably doesn't need top of the line GPUs or anything Smiley Tongue I doubt he is playing crysis or something. 

Also check out CNET or something similar, a site that reviews all type of tech. You might be able to find a review about a PC before you recommend it to someone Smiley Very Happy 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.