Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinishing bathroom vanities

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinishing bathroom vanities

Anyone attempted this or something similar (like kitchen cabinets)? The weather is getting nice and I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to do things around the house. Is this normal?? I've only been a home owner for about 5 months now.

Gotta cut down a tree...

Extend the deck...

Refinish the bathroom vanities...

Learn how to garden?

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
demi
Established Contributor

Re: Refinishing bathroom vanities

Have lived through one...which is why I would recommend a new vanity !  You can actually pickup some really nice vanities nowadays pretty inexpensively.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinish? Yup, it's worth it if it's a treasured momento from your Great-Gramma. Or a rare antique. Otherwise? IKEA, Home Depot, etc, sell them from anywhere from $150-600. Nice ones, too. If you go middle-end on the vanity and the fixtures, you could walk away with something that looks like it's in a movie star's home for roughly $600.

Once you calculate how much you'll spend on strippers (you know what I mean!), protective gear (those strippers can be dangerous), primers, materials, etc -- not to mention the time you'll spend without a potty (we're talking like 2 weeks or so unless you're retired or taking time off work) and the sweat, it's "cheaper" to just buy a vanity. Really.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, as for "New-homeowner-itis," here's what we've done in less than two months:

Hardwood floors in living room & hallways/remove old carpeting
Paint living room, kitchen, master bedroom
Plant 1 Bird of Paradise (**bleep**, those things squawk), 4 Banana trees, 1 Key Lime tree, and 6 Bamboos
Plant 1 garden ('maters, peppers, squwarsh, vidalias and jalapenos)
Mulch 4 "islands"
Ceiling fan (HUGE one -- 60 inches wide) in living room
Double chandelier in dining room (this, too, is 60 inches wide)

And that's the first TWO months!! o_O

(And yes, it's all hubby's idea -- I like RESTING on weekends!!)
Message 4 of 7
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone attempted this or something similar (like kitchen cabinets)? The weather is getting nice and I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to do things around the house. Is this normal?? I've only been a home owner for about 5 months now.

Gotta cut down a tree...

Extend the deck...

Refinish the bathroom vanities...

Learn how to garden?

Smiley Happy

go to homedecorators. dot com they have beautiful items and always have something cool on sale. Another plus is that you can use your home depot card there. Thay have some very unique vanities for every taste.
Message 5 of 7
ponderous
New Contributor

The more we can re-use the better!  We certainly are not doing ourselves any favors by running out and replacing things left and right if we don't need to.  A coat of paint, replacing the top and fixtures and you have a new set up.  There is also a great sense of accomplishment so I say.....go for it!!
Elizabeth
3/23/09 - Eagle Home Morgage pulled a 742 on me?!!! WooHoo!!!!

3/16/09
TU 708
EQ 692
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Once you calculate how much you'll spend on strippers (you know what I mean!), protective gear (those strippers can be dangerous),

ROFLMBO

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.