Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflections on your credit journey!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reflections on your credit journey!

Hey MyFicoers!  It's been a long and arduous journey to get where we all are today.  Congratulations to you all for your dedication to your credit and your successes along the way!  I wanted to create a thread where we could all relfect on our journey.

I'll start.  I admit, I have had it made when it comes to credit.  Added as an AU to my father's Freedom card at the tender age of 6 years old has really given me a boost to my AAoA.  I do wish that I would have been added to the American Express True Earnings card when it first came out.  My current Amex would have been backdated ~15 years and I would probably have picked up a BCE for backdating purposes as well!  That would have given me 4 cards with 15-20 years of history!

My next step was being added as an AU to a BoA Cash Rewards card at the age of 22 (would have had 8 diamond spades Smiley Happy

This was all nice, but if I could go back, I'd love to have started working (instead of being coddled until 23 Smiley Surprised) at 16 and gotten started with my journey as soon as I turned 18!  In theory, I'd pick up a BoA credit card (don't know their line up at the time) and wind up with my current TR card.  I'd have gone with the Citi Forward when it was available and not have to care about the Chase AARP card.  I would have picked up the Freedom in 2012/13 with the $300 bonus, and a Sallie Mae as soon as it was possible.  I probably would have passed on the Quicksilver (although the uber promo was nice!).  

I would think that Discover would have passed along a $150 sign up bonus with that portfolio, which I could now levarage for the double cash back.

My line up would have been:

Chase Freedom (AU) - 1996

Amex TE (AU) - 2000

Amex TE - 2000

Amex BCE - 2000

BoA Travel Rewards - 2008 (would eventually be PC to this)

Citi Forward - 2010 (? not really sure when the card came out)

Chase Freedom - 2012

Sallie Mae Mastercard - 2012 (again, not really sure of the history of the card)

BoA BBR - 2014

Discover It - 2015

Sallie Mae Mastercard - 2015

Chase IHG - 2015

Capital One QS - 2015

My AAoA would be sitting at a posh 6.5 years.  I would have raked in a few $$$ more for college drinking money.  My scores would have likely been in the 800s... What could have been!

As it stands now, AAoA 2.5 years, scores ~750.  I am extremely satisfied with where I am in the journey, evidence from this thread aside.  I'd like to thank the members of the MyFico community and my pops for getting me this far!  Couldn't be here otherwise.  I invite you all to share your journey with us and maybe daydream on what you could have done differently.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reflections on your credit journey!

Sorry I can't give ou KUDOs in this section. Back on May 10, I did my own similar thread called "Second Chances". It's long and boring, but here's a link for you just in case you're interested. Reading people's credit journeys is very interesting and yours is no exception!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Second-Chances/td-p/3998578

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took the time to read it. Quite the journey man. Congratulations on getting yourself on track!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I took the time to read it. Quite the journey man. Congratulations on getting yourself on track!

Thanks HC....I hope others post here too.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.